Recent Wedding on line

Bruce,

It's good to see a variety of photos from a wedding...rather than just one or two. Very good slide show.

I haven't spent much time on little details like jewelry and such, and you did a nice job. Your portraits have the hint of candids with a bit of artful planning. All very relaxed. I like the park bench photos very much. Looks so spontaneous.

Also it looks like you used available light on many of the photos. So soft and smooth!

Technical: film or digital, or mixed? flash or not?

Thanks Todd - Portraits were very easy with this couple. It was mostly putting them in a good spot with good light and letting them do the rest. Aside from the ceremony and when I had mostly frontal light I used fill flash. Also for a number of the getting ready shots I bounced the flash from a wall, so it looks like the lighting was just from a table lamp. It was all film. NC400 (concerned about the difference in skin tones) and Portra B&W.

Yes, I had a good meal. Needed it too: the wedding was in Central Park with lots of schleping. The DJ was nonexistent. The big group shot was everybody at the wedding! The reception was everyone at one table at a resturant. Before the wedding I was a little nervous about having enough to shoot with only about 14 people, but it was a lot of fun and worked out well.

I liked 133 and 138. I also loved the getting ready shots... I sat through the whole slide show and felt the emotions and moments of the day. That is why it worked so well for me... That is what it is all about. When a complete stranger can look at a series of images and walk away with a warm fuzzy feeling and a smile.. You know you've done it! <p> It was also fun for me to see shots of my NYC... I lived there for 16 years and I do miss it at times. It must be tough to shoot there with traffic and parking problems.. I don't envy that. Oh...and I know the restaurant -- Nice! One of my favorite places..

I loved the photo of the bride sitting on the bed, and then the one of her walking with the veil covering her....that was wonderful.

Do many brides do that anymore? I would love to have the occasion to photograph one with the whole veil!

.....hhhmmmmm, and yes, nice restaurant.....I remember it well.....

Mary - Thanks for your compliments. The most gratifying part of wedding photography is to document the people and the story of the day. As much inspiration as I get from contemporary wedding photographers, my idealized concept of photography is a Gene Smith, Life photo essay. I may never get the perfect shot, but I know what I'm looking for. Of course, editing is everything; I seem to have a feel for this.

Shooting in Manhattan can be a logistical PITA, but you can get some pictures that are recognized by people all over the world.

Belle - I like the bed shot too. Hmmm, veils? Now that you mention it, I don't think that it's that common anymore.

Marc - Thanks! I hadn't been in the resturant before, so I don't know exactly how it looked before, but it is very nice inside now. The couple had a very small room right off the main entrance with just enough room for their table of 15 and a small bar. I took a couple of shots in that room, but they were only of interest to the B&G. I should have done some interior shots of the main entrance room of the resturant. Need a sticker on the back of my camera that says "Look, See, Think!"