Receipt for Wedding Photography Deposit?

amanda_cook2

When you receive a wedding deposit, do you give your client a receipt? Or does

the wedding contract suffice?

If it does? do you the wedding photographer sign the wedding contract?

If your client requests a receipt? what do you tell them?

If it does not?

What do you use to write the receipt on?

Do you sign the contract?

Of course you sign the contract. Don't you any way? If not, its not legal.

If they pay check, their return check, along with my contract that has it stated as paid is receipt. I also give them the CC receipt if they pay that way.

>>> If your client requests a receipt? what do you tell them? If it does not? What do you use to write the receipt on? <<<

It might be different where you reside, but here, if a client, any client, requests a receipt for any monies paid, then it is a requirement by law for the provider of the good or service to provide one: irrespective of any other document(s) involved.

In that regard we have a receipt book, and it is can and is used for all methods of payment, including credit cards and cheques.

WW

As soon as my client signed the contract I either send them or which they download off my website, and returns to me with their deposit, I sign the contract myself, then scan both the contract and check. Then I make a receipt/invoice that lists the services I will perform and the amount of the total bill (I charge flat rate), and notes the payment of deposit and the balance which is due on or before the wedding day. I then create a PDF consisting of the receipt, the contract, and their check image and email it to them right away. Process actually goes faster once you get templates made. And I also have a great electronic record of my contracts and transactions.

Ian

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I was not sure what to do when I set up a wedding over the phone. I usually email the file to the client... have them sign it and mail it back to me... but in this case it was not signed by myself.

In the future I will sign it once I receive it and then scan it and send it back.

When you meet with the client in person... You fill out the contract and both sign it... then what do you do if they would like a copy? (and we are meeting somewhere general) Tell them I will email it to them once I get home??

Does anyone have a more professional receipt they made up on the computer?? I dont really like the cc books... I find them too simple.

I would prefer to make up a receipt on the computer with my company name and such on it... is this ok?? How would I go about have a copy for myself and the customer?

>>> When you meet with the client in person (edit) what do you do if they would like a copy? (and we are meeting somewhere general) <<<

Are there not TWO copies of the contract, both of which are signed by both parties? This is the standard legal procedure where I am.

>>> I dont really like the cc books... I find them too simple. I would prefer to make up a receipt on the computer with my company name and such on it... is this ok <<<

The Government authority (Business and or Taxation) would be able to advise on what is required (in regards to details) to constitute a RECEIPT.

When inquiring I advise you to also obtain information regarding if you need to keep a copy and if so, the length of time you need to keep you copy, for taxation purposes for example.

>>> How would I go about have a copy for myself and the customer? <<<

If you made it on your computer you would have as many `copies` as you wish, would you not?

Seriously: if these questions are indeed sincere, which I do interpret them so: it behoves you to enrol in a course which targets the planning and running of a small business and perhaps touches on basic accounting disciplines and skills.

Because, as I see it, if you are asking these basic questions whilst engaging in business contracts, there could just be some other mistakes or oversights in your procedures which might be potential time bombs.

WW

Ok, I don?t see any need to be rude. I was under the impression that this forum was for getting help on different aspects of photography. I asked some basic questions to get a better understanding of procedures to set up for my company. I in fact am an accountant during the day, and I have a diploma in business?so I by no means dumb when it comes to this stuff.

>>> Ok, I don?t see any need to be rude. <<< (AC)

If this comment applies to my posts, then please read on, if not then please disregard.

If one believes my preceding is `rude`, then please advise the forum moderator, because rudeness is not really the go here, however:

I do not note any part of my response that was rude.

I answered your first post in great detail and, which is not necessarily usual, returned and replied to the back up questions posted: the subsequent in three quite detailed parts.

If, after that expense of time and comment from experience, one takes offence at a serious and courteous suggestion :

>>> Seriously: if these questions are indeed sincere, which I do interpret them so <<< (op cit)

of an opinion which might be of benefit to encompass the basic nature of all the questions posed,

>>> it behoves you to enrol in a course which targets the planning and running of a small business and perhaps touches on basic accounting disciplines and skills. <<< (Op cit)

and the alerting one to possible pitfalls in the future of one`s business:

>>> Because, as I see it, if you are asking these basic questions whilst engaging in business contracts, there could just be some other mistakes or oversights in your procedures which might be potential time bombs. <<< (op cit)

Then, I do believe one is reacting emotionally, if not rudely: rather than really requesting and accepting COMPLIMENTARY assistance and comment given with the view to assist on these matters of running a small business: which, forthwith is withdrawn.

IMO, it is thee whom is being rude.

WW

Amanda,

We all love to help - and let me be the first to apologise if any of this in anyway offends - but I (for two) just don't understand how on one hand you're an accountant with a "diploma in business" and yet on the other hand it appears to me (and William) as though you have some serious knowledge deficiencies relating to standard accounting / business practice that may possibly be leading you towards some potentially serious compliance issues in the future.

In my experience Amanda, the best advice comes from those who care enough to still raise the issue even though it may not be what you want to hear. Or as they say: "judge not the signpost, but the direction that it's pointing"

All the best,

Colin Southern

My apologies, I did take the earlier comments to be offensive. But as you say, you where truly trying to be helpful. Apparently I did not take it so well. Honestly I do know what I?m doing in the accounting aspects of things. My falloff would be the legal side of the business. This is what I am trying to work on, to make sure my but is covered.

Yes my questions where very simple, I just wanted to get an idea of other photographers procedures. I was not sure if it was normal to take 2 copies of everything and both sign both copies? or if just fill out the one contract and photocopy it later and mail it to the customer.

Thank you for your help

• 3 years later...