Reccomended carrying case for D300 + large lenses+laptop

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by marklcooper, Feb 12, 2009.

1. I posted a similar question in the bags forum last fall but am still looking. I need to meet all the following criteria.
    D300 with grip and preferably with attached 17-55 F/2.8G ED AF-S with reversed hood
    70-200 F/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR with reversed hood
    Sigma 30 F/1.4 EX DC HSM with hood
    Batteries, Charger, USB cable, extra compact flash cards, MP3 player, cell phone, pager, 2 1/2 inch USB hard drive, Flip Mino, Sanyo Xacti VPC-E2 Digital Camcorder, several 8 1/2 x 11 spiral bound notebooks, and ultimately a Kindle2
    15.4 inch laptop with mouse and AC adapter
    Airline carry-on
    Shoulder or messenger bag preferred
    I'm not asking for much<g>.
    Thanks in advance - Mark

2. Dodo,
    I've been looking at the Stealth Reporter D650 AW but couldn't find whether it's rated for airline carryon.
    Just looked one more time and found the airline symbol. Have you used this bag?
    Many Thanks - Mark

3. The Crumpler Karachi Outpost fits your specifications, except that it's a backpack rather than a messenger bag. Cavernous, well constructed and it's very well padded. The only 2 issues I have with mine are 1) the outside pockets are an afterthought, and almost inaccessible, and b) It's less convenient to quickly switch gear into and out of than a messenger bag, so I use it primarily for airline travel, and use a smaller, no-name shoulder bag when out shooting.

4. I have found through trial and error that the Think Tank line of products is well designed, useful, comfortable, and very durable. I have several different bags from their line that I chose from depending on the outing and need of the job.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtUltrlght.php

5. I recently purchased a Thinktank ChangeUp. Its not big enough for your needs but I like the waist belt - shoulder strap design very much. One thing I don't like is the lack of a zipper pull tab at each end. Nothing opposite to grab to when pulling the zipper on a full pack. I went to the local camera store with my gear to see which pack fit my needs.

6. I am very happy with a think tank urban disguise. I carry similar equipment with plenty of room and it has been great for airplane travel. The bag comes in several sizes.