rebel Xt vs D5

wade_rose

Ok I have had my Rebel Xt about a year And I am starting to upgrade My Equip.

Now what I am wondering. Is how much harder is it to use then my rebel Xt and

would my lens I have Work on it? I am in the prosscess of up grading my lens

too So before I go to a better camera and up grade my lens I want to make sure

they will work with the next one I buy. Thanks for your comments Wade Rose

Hello Wade, I can see a 5D in my future too. I'm sure that knowing the way Canon's work, the 5D is not going to be a substantial change.

I think keeping the 1.6 crop to go with long lenses and full frame for wider lenses is a combination made in heaven.

P

I have both the XT and 5d. <p>I'm not trying to be an ass, but from the level of your questions it sounds like: 1) You need to do some more independent research on the 5D; 2) you need to stick w/your XT a little longer. What is the XT not doing that you need done? <p> As long as your lenses are not EF-S, they will work on the 5D.

Canon 5D Digital

Review From: Fred Mayer, 05/15/2006

The Canon model 5D like the 20D and the 30D has a magnesium alloy body, not plastic. The 5D is the most advanced FULL FRAME digital available for pros and advanced amateurs at a reasonable price level. You need to put high end lenses on this camera like the L Series, not the USM, or the high end Tamron lenses. Using anything else is like serving a Hostess Twinkie with a $ 2000 bottle of champagne. And by the way, the Nikon is not as fast as the Canon.

here is my two-pence worth. i have had a 20D and now have a 5D. the two cameras are pretty much identical to use -i.e. really easy and logical. in my opinion you really need to use good lenses to get the value out of having one of these cameras. in my case that means canon L and sigma EX lenses. As long as you have not built up a collection of EF-S lenses you will be fine.

the main negative point for me with the 5D is the dust issue that surrounds this camera - you will get dust in the wiew finder and you will need to either be more careful when changing lenses or get good at cleaning sensors.

I would say it is worth the money buying this kit as the results are incredible.

here is my two-pence worth. i have had a 20D and now have a 5D. the two cameras are pretty much identical to use -i.e. really easy and logical. in my opinion you really need to use good lenses to get the value out of having one of these cameras. in my case that means canon L and sigma EX lenses. As long as you have not built up a collection of EF-S lenses you will be fine.

the main negative point for me with the 5D is the dust issue that surrounds this camera - you will get dust in the wiew finder and you will need to either be more careful when changing lenses or get good at cleaning sensors.

I would say it is worth the money buying this kit as the results are incredible.

I agree with the above responders, however this "dust" issue IMHO is an abberation. It has been my experience that the 5D is no more suseptible to dust then my 10D, my XT, and my now gone 1D Mark II's. I don't know how this "dust" issue got started with the 5D, but in my case, I've not seen it anymore then the other DSLR's I've had.

Wade, note that L lenses also use USM technology, by the way.

The transition from XT to 5D should not be a concern...drunk, and tired, you'll still find it an easy transition, to be sure.

Once you go 5D, you'll never go back to crop....the 5D is a keeper over many years to come, unlike any other DSLR, including the high priced 1DS Mark II....you'll find the 5D has 99% the image quality of the 1DS Mark II, and lower noise to boot, and for this reason I suspect you too will find the 5D the DSLR body that you'll not replace for a very long time...years! Every other body I've had since getting the 5D has come and gone fast.

>>Once you go 5D, you'll never go back to crop....the 5D is a keeper over many years to come, unlike any other DSLR, including the high priced 1DS Mark II....you'll find the 5D has 99% the image quality of the 1DS Mark II, and lower noise to boot, and for this reason I suspect you too will find the 5D the DSLR body that you'll not replace for a very long time...years! Every other body I've had since getting the 5D has come and gone fast.

I've owned the 300D, 350D, 10D and extensively used the 20D.

I now own the 5D and it feels like it is 'the first real camera' I have owned since I sold my F4s and medium format Pentax gear and went digital.

The 5D is the keeper! The digital 'game' is over for me for a long time.

Will it make you a better photographer? No. Will it make you WANT to be a better photographer? Quite possibly...

Shawn

By the way, if you are 'upgrading' for the sake of upgrading, keep this in mind. In my opinion, there is absolutely NO reason to stop shooting an XT and sucking up the fairly sustantial cost of the 5D unless you a) want wide lenses or no more 1.6 math or b) want to print bigger than 13x19 routinely.

If you are itching to spend money, glass is a better place to spend it if the 2 points above aren't you. But be warned - L glass is an addiction, and I am the LAST person in the world to be caught up in Canon equipment...but alas, I now am.

Shawn

The XT takes excellent pictures.

Ask yourself this: what do you need that the XT can't deliver? Do you really need the 5D or just want it? Get some good lenses and use the XT, it delivers great images. Heck, my old 300D is more than enough for most of my work. Just use some good lenses.

Wade, I got a 5D a couple of months back, it's excellent. I kept my XT for telephoto work and am VERY glad that I did, lenses just do not feel very long on the 5D.

I find the 5D body much easier to use than the XT, the controls are laid out in a much nicer way, and the rear thumbwheel makes simple things like EC a doddle.

The 2 main things you have to relearn are focal lengths, and DOF. Focal length is easy, whatever lens you had on your XT will now be much wider on the 5D, you get used to it. DOF on the other hand can really bite you, especially for close up work, DOF is way more shallow on the 5D, so you have to stop down more.

One really small thing that I like about the 5D is the Custom mode on the mode wheel, you can set the camera to have any custom fucntions or particular settings in use when you switch to this mode - it's like Av but with stored settings - I use this mode for shooting with Mirror Lockup enabled, it beats sifting through the menus.

Thought this may be helpful for Pete Meade too.

"DOF is way more shallow on the 5D, so you have to stop down more. "

The only reason for this is that you have to move 1.6x closer to the subject for equivalent magnification, thus DOF decreases accordingly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Am i the only one that gets a lot of dust in my viewfinder and sensor? When I spoke to the guy at the canon service centre while i was getting mine cleaned out, he seemed to think that he saw it as more of a problem on 5D than any of the other models. Canon will however clean it out and replace any parts that need replaced under warranty.

i took it into the service sentre personally as i wanted to make sure i explained the problem properly. i got the camera back around 90 minutes later spotleddly clean and it didn't cost me a penny. they said if i was not happy with the work or if the dust came back that i should take it back and they would see if they had missed something. some of the best customer service i have ever had.

thanks George I took mine to the camera store and the guy told me that if I sent it to canon they would charge almost what the camera cost. I think he was trying to sell me a new one. And again I went to the same store yesterday to look at a lens and he is almost 200.00 more on all his camera lens then a store less then one mile from him.