Rebel XT Rebel XTi 350D 400D

paul_russell1

<p>My XTi has had 2 & 1/2 years hard use, still banging away but I'm at the stage now where I realise that it isn't going to go on forever. I want to replace it but heres the nub... I've already got a few big sandisk extreme 3 CF cards, 4 batterries & a grip.<br>

This makes upgrading to a newer 500D / Rebel XS XSi T1i etc a bit more expensive. I also would love, but can't stretch to a 7D (as I would also want a grip and extra battery capacity) so really, the way I see it I'm kind of limited to replacing like for like.<br>

This isnt really a grind as I'm actually pretty happy with my kits performance (I went down the lens route rather than buying a more expensive body) the only grind is finding a very clean used 350d or 400D, or better still, new old stock.<br>

Any ideas?</p>

<p>My battery packs wont fit the 40D 50D or 5D, nor will my grip. I regard the grip as essential, and cannot afford to buy a new type of body along with extra batteries and dedicated grip. I need to keep the costs down, and as such, would very very much prefer to buy an XT or XTi. I'm happy with what my current camera does for me. I know the x0Ds and 5Ds etc are better cameras but I doubt very much if they would do all that much for my photography, and the point is, I can't afford them, not with a new grip and new spare battery packs.<br>

I've came to the realisation that most of my pics end up on flickr or very very rarely printed and even then, at 15x10" max.<br>

A better camera would be a very very nice luxury.. would be absolutely content with the same as what I've got, with grip etc, just with a bit more life in it, my 400d has had a hard life and is getting a bit worn. I spent all my money on L glass and a couple of 430s & STE-2. When I had the money I didn't need a 40D or 5D, now I don't have the money, I need one even less.</p>

<p>sell the grip and batteries on ebay and buy ones that do fit. I wouldn't let something like that hold me back from getting a better camera. Its like saying you don't want a cadillac because you can't take the cd player from your pontiac with you.</p>

<p>Look for a used one that already comes with the battery grip. It usually doesn't add that much to the cost.</p>

<p>And, I agree that the photographer makes the picture, not the camera, but the 40D, 50D do have features that will help most people get better photos. For example, the 6.5 frames per second of the 40D will improve the chances of getting a good action shot over the 3 fps of a Rebel.</p>

<p>Couldnt agree with you more Paul, its what's in front of the body (lens) and even more importantly whats behind the body (you) that counts, I too have a similar setup to yourself and although my 400D isnt at the end of its life yet I have invested heavily in Grip, Cards, Batteries etc. Best bet is to search for a good second hand one that has had proven light use (i.e. shutter acutations) Its what I would do.</p>

<p>No, mine isnt for sale :-(</p>

<p>Nathan I hear what your saying but just spend some time on a golf course and see all the dreadful players with thousands spent on gear (Apply the analogy to any sport / hobby) It doesnt always work that way and I dont see that any of my pics would have been better if only I could have taken an extra 3 and a half frames in half a second. That just makes no sense. If thats a good way of ensuring better shots then most of us have been doing it wrong for years. Preparation, timing and knowing when to fire that shutter is much more important. If you take the shot at the wrong moment it doesnt matter how many subsequent shoys you can ina second or otherwise.</p>

<p>Paul,</p>

<p>You can get a refurbished XTi kit from Adorama. This is probably the way I would go since you are happy with the XTi overall. I bought a refurbished XSi from them and had no problems.</p>

<p>If you do decide to go to a "better" body I would jump to a used 5D. It's bigger so you might not need a grip for it and third party BP511A batteries can be found for little over $10. And you mentioned that you already have L glass for it.</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

I feel your pain. I have 2 XTIs and an XT with a grip for each and lots of spares. I really enjoy using son #1's XSI but have not had the desire to upgrade. 10 MP works great for me and I know the bodies inside and out. <br>

Well, along comes son #2 and his new 7D. I am so impressed with the weight, size and solid feel of the non-rebel body. I like the two wheels and for the first time would consider selling all my bodies and upgrading to any body after the 30D. <br>

Find a friend with a more advanced body and try to spend some time with it. You may yourself motivated to trade up.</p>

<p>40D/50D would be the best upgrade for you, IMO (both IQ/features/build-wise and cash-wise).</p>

<p>I also had a wide range of Rebels, and upgraded to a 50D last year. I found this camera to be quite an upgrade from the XT/XTi (which I kept as backup bodies, since they hold their "quality value" so well, but not the monetary value).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks all, will look at adorama for refurb, I'm in the UK so it makes things a little more tricky.<br>

I don't doubt the 40D 7D and 5Ds are all great cameras, and yes I would love one, shamefully and embarrassingly, I'm only a hobby user, and what with my bonus being withdrawn this year and a pay freeze, I just don't have the money for a better camera, with the required spare batteries and a grip. <br>

I know this makes me a bit of a leper on here with all the rich amateurs. I just can't do it, or rather I could do it, but it would be at the expense of a holiday, or the new bed that I need, and that wouldn't realy endear me to my other half.<br>

"Sorry love, I'm afraid its the tent and rough camping this year. On the brightside I do have two control dials and can shoot 6 frames per second"<br>

"Oh well, baby, thats the main thing"</p>

<p>Paul,</p>

<p>The way you formulated your post sounded like you need an idea to what to upgrade to ! In fact, all you needed is someone to tell you where to find cheap refurbs and new old stock.</p>

<p>Next time try to be clearer, you just wasted everyone's time (to put it bluntly), and didn't even get to receive a proper answer :)</p>

<p>Did you check the Marketplace from photography-on-the.net/forum ? There are plenty of UK Canon users there that sell/buy/trade stuff.</p>

<p>Regards</p>

<p>They are all right, you can get the new grip, generic for about 60 bucks and I buy 40d batts on ebay for 6 bucks a PIECE and they work fine at least 500 shots a battery, as far as a 40d body you can buy them off Amazon but you can get a better price at Adorama new or refurbed, the new is fine i bought the refurb with the a nice lens for 900 bucks and the lens would have been 450 alone, i then bought a warranty at refurb depot for 50 bucks that warrant the camera and lens for 5 years in the event it fails me and they clean it once a year for free, if you mail it to new york which i dont so i have the camera shop clean it when needed, there is always a way to get what you want it just takes some give and take.</p>

<p>Otan, the only people who have had their wasted are those who didn't read my post properly, and you.<br /> I made it very clear in my first post that I couldn't afford a new camera and a new grip and batteries. I also made it pretty clear that I was wanting to stick with my exsisting body type. The only suggesiton I solicited was where to find new old stock or clean used bodies.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the only grind is finding a very clean used 350d or 400D, or better still, new old stock.<br /> Any ideas?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I clarified this in each of my subsequent replies, where I also thanked those who responded.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I need to keep the costs down, and as such, would very very much prefer to buy an XT or XTi. I'm happy with what my current camera does for me. I know the x0Ds and 5Ds etc are better cameras but I doubt very much if they would do all that much for my photography, and the point is, I can't afford them, not with a new grip and new spare battery packs.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Be as blunt as you want my friend, so long as you answer the question I've asked rather than answer the question in your head.<br /> I know that the cameras since are better. Thats academic.<br /> Some people read the question properly and stated they were actually in a similar situation, so it couldn't have been all that badly worded.</p>

<p>Thank you once again to everybody else.</p>