Rebel vs. x00D Branding

<p>Is there anyone in the US that isn't a big fan of the 'Rebel' branding on the Canon Digital EOS cameras? I want to get the 500D (T1i), because I just think having 'Rebel' on my camera makes it look like a toy (I know, I know - but I can't afford one of the more expensive ones).<br>

I need to find out how frequently these things break down since Canon USA said they would be able to carry out repairs, but most likely for a fee.</p>

<p>I owned the 350D, 400D, 450D and since a couple of days the latter was changed for the 500D (your T1i). Neither one of them ever had a fault, defect or otherwise. Only once with the 350D I needed to have the sensor cleaned but that was because of my own stupidity :-)<br /> Canon knows how to build camera's, so don't worry about quality issues or so.<br /> Apart from that do not really expect that the 450D or 500D are camera's for absolute beginners. They have lots of possibilities and throughout the years they became pretty advanced. <br /> Most important is, treat them with normal care and they will give you a lot of fun in return.<br /> Enjoy!</p>

I agree with you that the "Rebel" moniker is a bit tacky. When I owned my Rebel XT I searched around for someplace that would sell just the "350D" nameplate as a spare or service part so I could swap it out. Then I bought an "L" lens and found the red lettering matched the red ring very nicely.

To your point though, another thing is to just be sure that if you purchase a non-USA camera that it works software/hardware-wise with downloading photos or viewing them on a TV made for the USA.

<p>Just be glad you didn't buy it in Japan where the Rebel line is called the "Kiss"</p>

<p>Who cares what it's called so long as it takes pictures for you.</p>

<p>All the EOS digital cameras are very reliable and well built. Don't worry about what it's called, or how long it might last and go out and take pictures with it.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>I don't know why Canon keeps the Rebel name at this stage of the game. Part of the 'problem' I suppose is that they have used the Rebel name for a successful campaign of their film counterparts, for a long time, here in the US. So, they obviously feel there is some mileage left on that campaign...</p>

<p>It's hard to keep up with the three different connotations for each Rebel model, in this case would be: Rebel T1i, 500D, Kiss X3...</p>

<p>WJat Jan said. They're excellent cameras and go far beyond a beginner's needs. I chose the 450D over a XXD series camera specifically for ergonomics; not price, beginner badging, etc.<br>

And have created thousands of pix that would not have turned out any better with a more expensive cam.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<blockquote>

<p>And have created thousands of pix that would not have turned out any better with a more expensive cam.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>To be fair, B&W "street" photography is hardly a genre that demands a lot of a camera - a P&S will do "street" well enough.</p>

<p>There's an awful lot to be said for the ergonomic and performance advantages provided by the XXD line, for things like wildlife/bird photography though.</p>

<p>And if you've got biggish hands and thick fingers (I have), XXXD bodies are practically unusable.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes, I'm bewildered at the crummy names Japanese give their products. Would you believe we have a 4WD Toyota called a Clugger (Kluger) here! On the durability of the Rebel range, if you treat them with a normal amount of care they will last for years, just don't drop them onto concrete too many times or get them in situations where water or condensation can get inside. I think the biggest downside of this range is the viewfinders, their smallnes and dimness makes good photography difficult, leading to focus errors, tilted horizons and, for some types of photography, ensuring all elements of the composition are in the frame. Others find the single control wheel a feature that causes them no end of angst. Really it is nothing, everything works well except when you wish to change the aperture value in 'Manual' mode a button must be pressed as well as the wheel turned, like I said, no big deal. For casual or family photographers who wish to take first rate photos they are relativey low cost good quality cameras, and their capabilities allow more enthusiastic photographers to achieve results equal to cameras costing much more.</p>

<p>Canon's market research demonstrated that the Rebel moniker was attractive to the outlaw/bad boy image found so appealing by young North American men, the target market of the the camera. They understand that older more affluence folks will buy a 50D or 5DII, so I doubt the Rebel name will go away anytime soon. Just be glad they haven't adapted hip-hop culture like some budget cars marketed towards teens and young adults. Imagine Pimp-Daddy MF as a camera name...</p>

<p>But, yeah, the same camera is called the "Kiss" in Japan, apparently because it was originally marketed to young women. The red lips logo was way cute!</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I had an XT for a while - used it heavily and hard, including on the trail as a backpacking camera. Worked great and wtihout a hitch. Today my son uses it, often for street photography. So years later it still works great.</p>

<p>The 'rebel' series includes quite fine little cameras.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>>>> To be fair, B&W "street" photography is hardly a genre that demands a lot of a camera - a P&S will do "street" well enough.</p>

<p>Curious. Do you actually do street photography? BTW, I came from a 20D and was about to buy a 40D. For my uses a 450D was a much better solution. And today would pick it (or maybe the 500D) over a 50D.</p>

<p>BTW, which P&S do you use for SP with "good enough" results. I would like to buy it. OTOH, I have a feeling what is "good enough" for you would probably not cut it for me.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I have had my "D400" for over 2 years and almost 15,00 pics and still working great. I never even notice the Rebel tag until I read another post on PN about the same concern; I had to get the camera out and look.<br>

Someone who doesn't know much about cameras is going to be too impressed with the camera to notice the Rebel tag. Anyone who is familiar with DSLRs is going to know what you have - tag or no tag....</p>

<p>You do know that Canon has given sexy names to their cameras in the US market while the overseas market got the regular numerical name? You do know that they are the same camera, made in the same production line etc etc don't you?<br>

Just like the Nissan Tiida is a Pulsar in other markets. The badge is the last thing that goes on in final packaging. Canon will honour the "global" warranty whatever version you buy, and wherever you buy it.<br>

Can someone clear up this US market/grey market nonsence? If a manufacturer makes a product for a global market, you're not going to get a special one for the US. That went out 20 years ago.</p>

<p>Here it is, straight from Canon (nikon is the same):<br>

<p><em><strong>Canon International Warranty</strong> </em><br>

<em>The Limited Warranty set forth below is given by Canon COMPANY listed below with respect to Canon Photographic Products produced in the United States, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom or New Zealand.</em><br>

<em>The Limited International Warranty is only effective upon presentation of the warranty card and proof of purchase. This Canon equipment is warranted against defective materials or workmanship for (1) year from the date of the original purchase and is limited to repair, adjustment and/or replacement of defective parts.</em><br>

<em>Equipment covereed by this Warranty will be repaired by Canon International Warranty Members WITHOUT CHARGE, except for insurance, transportation and handling charges. (See list of Canon International Warranty Members included with the equipment.)</em><br>

<em>When returning equipment for warranty service, the shipping charges must be prepaid and the equipment should be shipped in its origianl carton or box, or an equivalent, properly packed to withstand the hazards of shipment and be fully insured. A copy of this warranty card and proof of purchase should be enclosed, as well as a description of the problem, film samples, etc.</em></p>

<em> This warranty only covers defective materials or workmanship encountered in normal use of the equipment, and does not apply in the following cases:<br /> </em>

<p><em>(a) Loss of or damage to the equipment due to abuse causing deterioration, mishandling, accident or failure to follow operating instructions.<br /> (b) If equipment is defective as a result of leaking batteries or liquid damage.<br /> © Defective materials or workmanship where the defect is due to the equipment having been serviced or modified by other than Canon International Warranty Members or other authorized service facilities around the world.<br /> (d) Malfunction resulting from the use of accessories, attachments, product supplies, parts or devices (including, without limitation, batteries, film, lenses, flash attachments and other accessories) with this Canon photographic equipment that do not conform to Canon specifications.<br /> (e) Damage resultiing during shipment. (Claim must be presented and examined by the shipper.)</em><br>

<em><strong>Equipment covered by this warranty may be repaired by Canon International Warranty Members located outside the United States, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and New Zealand, WITHOUT CHARGE, except for insurance, transportation and handling charges. (Worldwide list of Canon International Warranty Members included with equipment.)</strong> </em></p>

<em><br /> </em>

<p><em><strong>CANON COMPANY EXCLUDES ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS OR LIABILITIES (WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE). IN RELATION TO THE EQUIPMENT, EXCEPT THOSE WHICH ARE SET FORTH ABOVE AND/OR EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT ANY SUCH EXCLUSION WOULD CONTRAVENE ANY STATUTE OR CAUSE THIS TERM TO BE VOID.<br /> EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT ANY SUCH EXCLUSION WOULD CONTRAVENE ANY STATUTE OR CAUSE THIS TERM TO BE VOID, CANON COMPANY EXCLUDES ALL LIABILITY TO THE PURCHASER IN RESPEC OF ANY CLAIM (WHETHER CONTRACTUAL, TORTIOUS , STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE) FOR ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR SUPPLIED BY CANON COMPANY IN RELATION TO THE EQUIPMENT. THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT EXTEND TO ANYONE AOTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THIS EQUIPMENT OR THE PERSON FOR WHOM IT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT.</strong> </em><br>

<em>This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other extra rights which vary from state to state, province to province and country to country.</em><br>

<em>*Limited Warranty means that the contents of this warranty are limited to the above-mentioned terms and conditions.<br /> Canon Australia Pty. ltd. No.1 Thomas Holt Drive, North Ryde NSW 2113<br /> Canon Canada, Inc. 6390 Dixie Road, Mississauga, Ontario L5T 1P7<br /> Canon New Zealand Ltd. Fred Thomas Drive, P.O. Box 33-336, Takapuna Auckland<br /> Canon UK Ltd. Brent Trading Centre. North Circular Road Neasden, London NW10 OJF<br /> Canon U.S.A., One Canon Plaza, Lake Success NY 11042-1113</em><br>

How explicit do they have to be? Its in every box shipped and binds Canon globally. If you have a dealer who tries to pull the wool over your eyes, then find another dealer, or better still...send it to Canon direct with your receipt. You don't need to involve the dealer at all.</p>

</p>

<p>Hey Brad...if your gonna post a response just to wet your own whistle or toot your own little horn maybe you should be a little quicker to hit the X in the upper right hand corner of your browser. So what if some people feel they can get "good enough" results using a point and shoot for SP. If you disagree then disagree. You come off like a blow-hard and I won't even bother to look at your photo's to validate my point. Your post did that for me without any need for additional evidence. Sorry if I hijack any of the post with my comment, but some things require a reply.<br>

As to the OP. A name is a name. Don't worry so much about personal opinion and concentrate on satisfying expectations. If you are hard on yourself like most photographers then the customer will always be happy if you are. The Rebel has survived as a brand name for a reason. Reliability and longevity. Besides, if people expect less of your results based on your gear then you are at an advantage. Show up with a FF and they will expect you to be a pro, like the camera's title.</p>

<p>I'm in the U.S. and I don't much care for the "Rebel" name, except as something to poke fun at, usually with a faux southern accent. I do think it kind of cheapens the product a bit, even more so than "Kiss" might. To be honest, I think most tools and machines, be they cameras or cars, come off better with numbers for names. Given a choice, I would prefer to take a nice old Mercedes 280SL down to the camera shoppe to buy a nice new Canon 500d.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>To be honest, I think most tools and machines, be they cameras or cars, come off better with numbers for names. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Works great for people, pets, bathroom waste and streets too. I number my GFs and have even assigned numerals to the nomes in my yard.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I like the name Rebel (I'm over 40 and I'm not from the south). I'm no psychologist, but I have often wondered whether it is possible that Canon uses the Rebel name (as well as the fact that it is, unlike the "pro" cameras, available in a silver color) to subtly steer a certain segment of the market toward its more expensive cameras. I was told that, in Japan, what we Americans call an Acura is called a Honda.</p>

<p>>>> So what if some people feel they can get "good enough" results using a point and shoot for SP. If you disagree then disagree. <br>

I'm sorry you're upset...</p>

<p>He didn't say "he" could, rather made a general proclamation; which as you point out, I disagreed with.</p>

<p>>>> You come off like a blow-hard and I won't even bother to look at your photo's to validate my point. Your post did that for me without any need for additional evidence. Sorry if I hijack any of the post with my comment, but some things require a reply.</p>

<p>Thank you for not looking at my photos - you wern't asked to, BTW. I suspect you don't do SP or have relevant experience to share on the subject; therefore I'm not sure what point you were thinking of making, or how you would make it.</p>

www.citysnaps.net