Reasons to select Canon

laleicasinlente

<p>Hi guys<br>

I have been shootin with pentax for two years.<br>

My equipment (pentax k110 D + 18 - 55 kit lenses, tamron 70-300 and a pentax 40 mm f2.8 limited) does not fulfill my criteria about photography and now is the moment to change it.<br>

I'm in doubt about canon eos 450D (I dont know the USA name) or nikon D60.<br>

I like to do portraits and landscapes mainly.<br>

Could you give me some advice?<br>

Thanks in advance and good shoots,</p>

<p>Mariano</p>

<p>Since you are starting over, either camera would do, but so would a higher level Pentax, so why switch at all?</p>

<p>You've already got some lenses for it, so why not keep them and build with nicer lenses as you go along?</p>

<p>Reasons to go Canon:</p>

<p>You like shooting <em>very </em> expensive ultrafast primes at DsOF that your camera can't handle.</p>

<p>It doesn't rain where you live.</p>

<p>Manual flash appeals to you.</p>

<p>You buy low-end $ camera bodies (where Canon often excels).</p>

<p>You look good in white.</p>

<p>Just kidding. I'm with the stay-with-pentax crowd.</p>

<p>Bob,<br>

When I use the camera indoor the color is not natural even if I change the white balance, outdoor is better than indoor.<br>

When I shoot in an automatic mode, I think that any compact camera do better.<br>

JDM,<br>

I like lenses with low f numbers and pentax hasn't this kind of lenes or they are very expensive.<br>

Thank you,<br>

Mariano</p>

<p>I think it is true that we just focus too much on what is new or whatever else might be out there. Most of the time, we can just stay with what we have and if we learn to use it, it serves us well.</p>

<p>There are reasons to switch systems, but there really should be a good reason why. If you are or want to be a pro, then switching to Canon or Nikon now might make sense. Not that the cameras are the only ones that will work in that market, but because it will be easier to find faster glass, rentals when you need a lens or accessory you don't have and they make the really high end product you will need for commercial work.</p>

<p>But that said, if you are doing landscape and portrait work, it is hard to imagine that Pentax won't have a camera that will surpass or match the capabilities of either of the cameras you mention. If you were looking to get a Canon 1dsMKIII or the top of the line Nikon, it might be another story.</p>

<p>Frankly, any of a number of cameras would be just fine. In the end it really barely matters, if it matters at all, whether you buy a comparable Nikon or Canon camera. In fact, in most cases - unless you have rather unusual and specific needs - Pentax and Sony also make excellent DSLRs.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>2 cents worth. For a significant upgrade to your K110D (sensor qualityand MP) Check out a Canon 500D (aka: Digital Rebel T1i) or a Nikon D90. You may also give Pentax a 2nd chance on their new and much improved K7. That said, your K110D and 40/2.8 limited combo should be able to produce good result. You won't get a day and night up-grade from that. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>"When I use the camera indoor the color is not natural even if I change the white balance"</p>

<p>Are you shooting RAW or are you changing the Jpeg white balance settings? My Canon DSLR doesn't do a good job shooting Jpegs indoors. I use RAW and adjust in DPP.</p>

<p>Pentax does have some wonderful prime lenses available. You would have to write a list of what lenses you want and compare what is availble from Pentax, Canon, and Nikon.</p>

<p>Guys the economy is important too.<br>

This is an example about my equipment project:<br>

Pentax:<br>

DA 21/2.8 495€<br>

DA 40/2.8 350 €<br>

FAD 50/2.8 macro 500 €<br>

DA WC 70/2.4 530 €<br>

Total 1.875 €<br>

Canon:<br>

EF 20/2.8 USM 485 €<br>

EF 35/2.0 265 €<br>

EF 50/2.5 Macro 285 €<br>

EF 85/1.8 USM 380 €<br>

Total: 1.415 €<br>

If I could obtain a good price for my former equipment, probably a wil do a good deal.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Mariano</p>

<p>You will spend many times the dollar amount on lenses than on camera bodies over the lifetime of a brand you own.<br>

Canon has the widest range of lenses, and has the lowest prices for high-end lenses.<br>

Over the last 10 years, up until the release of the 300D and D3 by Nikon, Canon held the top position for bleeding-edge camera bodies. They have the most in-lens AF models, and the most image-stabilizing lenses.<br>

Canon generally 'fixes' equipement (whether it's broken or not :) )within a week, maybe two (at least in the US).<br>

There's no reason to expect that Canon will fall from the position of leader of new technology, which they've held, or traded with Nikon, for decades.</p>

<p>Mariano,<br>

One of the main reasons that I went with Canon was their intermediate level lens selection. I'm not a wealthy man and will probably not ever afford much in the way of L glass. However, when I looked at camera options, I noticed the substantially higher prices of Pentax and other companies' better lenses. That left me with the feeling that other than Canon, and maybe Nikon, would leave me with entry level glass that might not be as good as Canon's intermediate level, affordable glass.<br>

I have a Canon XSi and it suits my needs just fine, but I am shooting sheerly for the joy of shooting. Maybe some day I'll actually make some money from this hobby, who knows? I like landscape, candid portrait and street photography. I hope to get into macro, but that is a lens or two down the road.<br>

If you switch to Canon, you may think about keeping your 40 2.8 as it can be used on Canon EOS digital cameras with an adaptor ring, albeit as a manual focus lens. Just a thought.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>Some time ago I switched for Pentax (film) to Canon (digital). My reasons for doing so were:</p>

<ul>

<li>Selection of lenses and accessories.</li>

<li>Auto focus performance.</li>

<li>Wanted a full frame camera.</li>

</ul>

<p>I found the selection of Pentax lenses limited at the time and I found the in body auto focus motor to be very noisy on my camera. While Pentax has improved since then they still don't have the accessory selection of Canon and until recently, Canon was the only manufacture selling a full frame digital cameras. That said I did seriously consider Nikon. </p>

<p>Nikon does have a good selection of accessories but in my opinion Canon has a more extensive lens selection. Additionally some Nikon lenses have built in auto focus motors while older ones used in body auto focus motors. Furthermore not all Nikon Cameras have the in body auto focus motors. So if you purchase a Nikon D40 or D60 your selection of auto focus lenses is only about half of the full Nikon lens offering. The Nikon Flash system is apparently better than Canon's but for me that wasn't an important factor at the time. </p>

<p>A friend used to shoot with two Pentax film cameras, wanted to change to digital. Sold off his film cameras and lenses except for two. So he got a Pentax K10D. Works great, and he's satisfied with it. The problem is that the two lenses he kept from his film days were older Sigmas, nothing really great, so he started looking around for newer Pentax replacements. </p>

<p> I personally have been using Canon cameras for about 40 years, and I'm on my fourth Rebel DSLR, an XSi. I've been able to find some really great bargain lenses for my camera on the local online swap meet called Kijiji. Canon gear is available most of the time. BUT there are hardly any Pentax lenses that might interest my friend. So he's had to buy Pentax lenses online, both over $400.00 each. They work as they should with his camera, but I've gotten about $1800.00 worth of almost new lenses for my Canon at a cost of $650.00. My friend would have been better off selling all of his Pentaxes at first and buying a Canon - that's what he now says!<br>

<br />Something to think about, availability of lenses and accessories!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>While I am extremely happy with my Canon equipment - I use it along with MF digital and LF transparency and scans for my work - I agree with the others here that almost any of the current systems should be able to produce first rate images. The camera itself is merely the capture device, the image is created by the photographer - wonderful evocative, original images have been produced with point and shoots, and boring, mundane, pointless images produced with 1Ds Mk IIIs.</p>

<p>Would a better word processor make you a better writer? It may be nicer to use, but the creative work is the domain of the writer / photographer. Much of the obsessing over minute differences between various cameras or systems can be expensive, time consuming and ultimately add little or nothing to the standard of images. If I were you I'd stick with Pentax and make sure you are getting the most out of the tools you have. Unless there is piece of equipment you can't get for your current system and that you absolutely need to get the results you want, I really don't think changing from one excellent system to another excellent system will make a lot of difference.</p>

<p><em>When I use the camera indoor the color is not natural even if I change the white balance, outdoor is better than indoor.</em></p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the K110D but my Pentax K10D very rarely has white balance problems when I leave it on auto-white balance. You might want to consider upgrading the body or shooting in RAW if possible, which makes any white balance issues redundant if you have the time/skills.<br>

<br /><em>When I shoot in an automatic mode, I think that any compact camera do better.</em></p>

<p>The compact is probably geared for auto mode, but it's definitely not the best way to get good results from a DSLR.<br>

<br /><em>I like lenses with low f numbers and pentax hasn't this kind of lenes or they are very expensive.</em></p>

<p>While I only use (modern) zooms (and again I'm not sure on the K110D), one feature of the Pentax DSLR system is the ability to use old Pentax lenses - which I gather were mostly known for their great primes. Another, cheaper option to the Pentax range is the Sigma range with Pentax mounts. There are primes, fast (f2.8) zooms etc.</p>

<p>I can see a change to Canon or Nikon would be tempting. More lenses, easier to make a deal on second hand stuff etc. I see no reason to go D500 unless you need the few extra megapixels and VDO, the 450D is a very good camera. Nikon I would go D90 as the D60 needs motor in lens which about 1/2 of Nikon lenses have, so that would limit you. Else it doesn't matter what you choose, both gives excellent results. My old man and my sister is Nikon users I am with Canon, the camera does not matter they take awesome pictures. However where I live Canon has cheaper quality lenses than Nikon so I save some on that, hence I stay with Canon.</p>

<p>Just a rave about the dSLR video function, why in the heck would I use my dSLR for that? I best case it's a compromise and almost every el-cheapo video camera is far better for video than any of the dSLR's so I really don't get the hype... I got a cheap Panasonic SD video recorder which works better than any of the dSLR's it is so small it fits in my pocket as well so should I ever need to take video when I shoot photo (never so far) I can toss it with me. Probably next thing will be mobile phone, MP3 player or MSN in the dSLR or something silly...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>They have the most in-lens AF models, and the most image-stabilizing lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mariano, the OP, has suggested that his main interests are landscape and portrait. now i don't beleive that a small format dlsr is ideal for either applications, but autofocus is certainly not required. Mariano, are you after the latest techno digicam, or are you after the best tool for the job?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I could obtain a good price for my former equipment, probably a wil do a good deal.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>DA 40/2.8 is the most expensive piece in your set by a good margin. You can get reasonable sum towards new system but nothing great and it may be difficult to find a buyer for K110D which lacks image stabilization and didn't it have some sort of problems with SDM lenses?<br /> Also, I don't really see what you'd gain by going with cheapest Canon primes (85/1.8 is great though). Pentax has plenty of very high quality primes and new zooms are very good too. Saving ~$400 in lens prices after changing systems is not that economical.</p>

<p>New Pentax K7 looks simply great, it would be a huge upgrade from 110D (upgrade from 450D and D60 too) and weather resistant body may bring some peace of mind for a landscape shooter. Then there's Pentax K20D that offers extremely good price/performance right now, costs the same as 450D kit.<br /> Check these out before jumping to Canon.</p>

<p>Howdy!</p>

<p>I tried a friends Pentax camera, and I was pleasantly surprised by how ergonomic and well thought out it was. It has fewer features than an equivalent Canon, but it didn't leave out any critical ones, and it has several features (such as true ISO priority) that I would love to have in my 40D.</p>

<p>I started out with Canon in 2005 because they had active CMOS sensors, and nobody else did. Now that most camera manufacturers have them, I would visit dpreview.com and see which camera fits your needs.</p>

<p>Also, Canon's indoor automatic white balance is just as bad (if not worse) than Pentax.</p>

<p>Later,</p>

<p>Paulsky</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bob,<br /> When I use the camera indoor the color is not natural even if I change the white balance, outdoor is better than indoor.<br /> When I shoot in an automatic mode, I think that any compact camera do better.</p>

<p>lets translate: I don't know how to use my camera.</p>

<p>Hi Mariano,<br>

I can see how changing your camera can be a bit confussing, and as you see on this tread you will get different opinions regarding what is best, Canon ppl will say canon and Nikon ppl will say Nikon, as for pentax i have to agree its a great system but if you ever need to rent equipment or even get it from a friend, chances are , it will be easier if you had a more popular camera, at least in this part of the world, eiter Canon or Nikon.<br>

If you are not used to either one system then you will have to learn how to use it, and use it properly so you can actually take advantage of what makes them great cameras.<br>

once you start building your system the price of the glass you buy will dwarff the price of any camera, and then you get to think how back compatibility of the lenses will play a role in your career. stop gueting confussed about the better system both are great,, pick one and lear to use it.<br>

Best regards JART</p>

<p>Pentax is good. Canon is good. Nikon is good. They're all good, just small differences with each. If *you* are good, you'll take good pictures regardless.<br>

I like Canon's lens lineup the best. I like Nikon's bodies a bit more these days. My first and all-time favorite camera was a Pentax, so you won't catch me disparaging them in any way. If I were starting over now, I'm not sure what I'd do, mostly because none of the choices seem "bad" in any way. By that I mean you can buy any of the aforementioned stuff and it's pretty awesome.<br>

Try them all out, research the optics, the prices, etc, it mostly comes down to personal preference. But take the other advice that seems to be given a lot in this thread: it has little to do with your camera and more to do with you, so don't feel like you have to drop a whole system unless there's a serious flaw with it.<br>

All things being equal, I'd upgrade my Pentax body and keep the lenses if I were in your shoes. Nothing wrong with what you've got. Why buy all new lenses unless you're made of money?</p>