REAR ELEMENT on Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AF

ron_togger

Hi Everyone,

During a routine clean, I noticed the rear element gives way slightly when pressed - rather like a button. The pressure applied was slightly

greater than normal (as I was cleaning a stubborn mark), but certainly not excessive. Apart from this movement (which stops dead at about

0.5mm), the glass does not seem loose and there are no loose artefacts/debris inside the barrel to suggest any damage or tampering.

I cannot for the life of me work out whether this is a fault, or some kind of design feature.

I always treat my gear with great care (verging on the obsessive), the lens was bought in mint condition from a dealer and has never

suffered in any way. All the screws are pristine and the mount is perfect. Had I not cleaned it, I probably would have been blissfully

unaware of this curious situation.

Has anyone ever come across such a thing on a lens? Please put me out of my misery.

Many thanks

Ron

It's weird - almost like the rear element is mounted on some kind of tension spring which sits within the mounting ring and

holds the glass against the outer mount. It is only noticeable with slightly more pressure, it does not rattle or stay

depressed once you take the pressure off.