Real or scam?

Discussion in 'Photo.net Site Help' started by ron_shaw, Feb 27, 2018.

1. I have received two emails saying my account was automatically switched to Premium, and I was charged $29.95. Is this a scam, or did this really happen. If it is real, I want it refunded promptly, and never to do this without my consent.

2. jpm

jpm

I got the same email. The link in the email goes to a parked domain, so I assume it is an attempted fraud.

3. G-P

G-P Administrator Staff Member

I will DM you to investigate.

4. I also just got this mail. I assume it is fraud. But very well done.

5. I also assume it is a fraud. The bad English in the Subject: line was the first clue.

6. Well, happy (and sorry) to see I wasn't the only one to get this email.

My clue was, it said my account will be billed and switched in Feb. 2017.

7. Same here :

Dear photo.net member, Hans Van Rafelghem
    We are updating our Terms & Conditions of Use and Policy to provide you with better service, and wanted to share the details with you. These updates are effective starting February 26, 2018.

Your account will be billed and switched automatically to Premium Membership starting February 26, 2017.

Please find Details and our Terms & Conditions of Use changes.

Please note: If you already have a premium membership please follow the steps provided in the link above.

Thank you for for becoming a premium member!
    Your account will be billed $29.95 yearly.
    The next charge will be 03/01/2017.

Your Receipt:

You Purchased:

1 year Premium Membership

You Paid:

$29.95

Your Name:

Hans Van Rafelghem

Your Email:

Premium Expires:

Sunday 1th of October 2018

8. G-P

We are still investigating, but this email is not from us.

jpm likes this.
  9. Just discovered the same email in my spam folder - the first indication that it's a scam. Then there is the issue of 1-year membership that expires October 1, 2018 - that's not a full year from it's start date of February 26. Besides, October 1, 2018 is a Monday, not a Sunday.

10. Has photo.net been compromised? How did they get our email addresses? Got same email in the junk folder. Have not visited this site for a long time. How do I close/delete my account? I understand you will not delete previous posts, photos, etc.

11. That's definitely the question I would like to get an answer to too!

12. Norman 202

Norman 202 i am the light

The email addresses were, probably, sold after the last attack.

13. G-P

we believe this was related to the previous attack, but still investigating. We will have an announcement as soon as we have more. Site wide notifications are being set up and will be live soon. We have also been responding to emails sent to us directly but those responses are limited to 1.) it was not from us and 2.) we are investigating more and will have and announcement once we are done with the investigation. It won't be long, I believe this is related to the attack in September but we'll have more soon.

14. Norman 202

Norman 202 i am the light

Sorry, Dieter, I wasn’t being facetious or anything. As to how the phishers got the email addresses originally, I, too, am in the dark.

(although I do have my suspicions)

15. Garret

Garret amateur wannabe

I'm not sure how they got my credit card number but they DID charge my credit card $29.95. Being disputed and changed account number. This pisses me off. I may have used this card to donate to photo.net some years ago. Would there still be a record of this card at photo.net?

Anybody?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  16. G-P

Hi Garret - I will DM you - your account may have been set up to auto-renew.