real estate

I'm just curious how some photographers would go about pricing a project such is

this one. I've been asked to quote on the photography of an office building in

a major N.A city. This real estate firm is a large international one and the

photos are to promote the leaseing of one of their properties.

As far as I gather the building spaces to be photographed are currently empty.

They need upto 20 images, mostly interior but with a few exterior shots to show

the relationship of the building to those around it. I also understand that I

would be shooting in more than one space, more than one floor of the building.

The images are for their web site only.

My considerations are: the building is for lease not sale, this is an

international real estate firm, there is no furniture to light.

Would you as professional photographers price the job along the same line as a

job for a building that is for sale or price lower? Would you reduce your

overall fee because you don't have to light furniture, just an empty space?

Would you increase your fee due to the size of the company the job is for?

I'd appreciate any input.

PS: I've been shooting hotel pics for a few years and am familiar with pricing

for those situations, but this is a new one for me.

Forget all the considerations you mentioned and go on time. 1/2 day or whole day. Decide based on the number of photos requested how long it will take you to capture. Since they are for web-site only, I would think you will spend less time producing the final result. What is a fair price for 8 hours of your time based on your experience and technical ability?

Just because the building is vacant doesn't mean that they would be happy with unfurnished interior shots. I'd clarify that point first, because you could find yourself needing to arrange for the furniture to be selected, moved in and placed, lit, and moved out again as well as making the shots. The annual lease for the space will probably amount to several million dollars, so it doesn't make sense to provide less appealing shots of empty space when trying to attract lessees for the sake of saving a few thousand at the outset.

Michael B., I think that to charge based solely on time ignores the value of the images to the client. For example if I shot images for a 20 room motel and it took me 8 hours, I would not charge as much as if I was shooting for an international hotel chain for the same amount of time.

The larger client is going to be investing much more money into the promotion of their property, which tells me that the images I produce for them have a higher value. Thus I would charge them more than I would charge for the local family motel.

Time is a factor yes, but it's not the only factor to consider in my opinion. I also don't charge a day rate anymore. I charge a price based on the scope, value and usage of the project. I've found it to be a more accurate and flexible formula that I can adjust to suite the estimate I'm working on.

Thanks for your comments.

Michael- could you please post more often expressing your views as above?!! To often you see advice here like " do it for $100 plus gas money". You have exactly the right approach obviously from experience.

I've done a number of similar shoots for exact same use. If these are only for web, (I would think they would be producing other material) depending on time frame of use, let's say 1-2 yr, $300-$500 per image is appropriate, specefic to the marketing of this property only. It depends on the client and their expectations. Much money will be made in the leasing of this property, your images will be part of what enables them to successfully market. They realize the value of these images. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

I find that the ones with the most toys are the ones who really want to bargain down your price. If you know the square footage you are doing for empty rooms you can charge that way.

I go by square footage, mileage, location,expertise for shooting real estate, and if they will use print as well. I don't want to scare them away from future jobs.