Real Estate Photography Aspect Ratio Questions

g._snow

I'm new to shooting real estate. Also new to anything having to do with the real estate industry.) I recently looked at my client's online listing (MLS.com) and the photos I gave her are being cropped on the website. After looking into it I learned that the MLS website utilizes a 4:3 aspect ratio for pictures. I have a DSLR plus my current lens is 16-85mm (I plan to purchase a wider lens in the near future) so I really can't afford for much of the image to get cropped on these online listings. I have a lot of questions and hoping some of you can give me examples of how you deal with aspect ratio efficiently during your workflow, especially export. For example:

1. Should I be putting every image on a template that is a 4:3 ratio, and how? Should I set my crop ration to 4:3?

2. Not knowing what different needs a client may have for various outputs, should I have more than one template based on different sizes, aspect ratios, DPI etc. and saving each image to them individually?

3. Is there a simple way to address these concerns during output settings in LR?

below I cropped with 3:2 ratio and the edited, but if I'm going to crop to 4:3 then the composition is bad. What's more important when working within the limitations of my current equipment...editing for good composition or ratio and other details of final output?

814850248__DSC0150_wip1_cropped34.thumb.jpg.52f11f8198d2e7671a6c6058208b2ed9.jpg 1612676630__DSC0150_wip1_cropped43.thumb.jpg.6c3bcfe778046f91f3677abf641dd035.jpg

. . . You have to previsualize the crop. . . .

Yes, I agree.

g snow:

Get a bit of black cardboard, about 12" x 9". Make a cut-out in the middle exactly 4" x 3", that's exactly the Aspect Ratio 4:3. When on-site you can move that template toward and away from your eye to ensure that you get enough of the scene in shot to allow a perfect 4:3 crop in Post Production to include the elements of the scene that you want.

There are other methods. I have a few card cut out masking frames (the old film masking frames used to place 5x4 film for cropping, when printing). I've stuck celluloid where the neg would be placed and I have marked grids on the celluloid.

One of my mates (a Real Estate Photographer) uses wire-coat hangers bent into different rectangles.

This is the main reason why Directors of Photography and Cinematographers look thorough their Thumb and Index Fingers at right angles with their Right Hand over their Left Hand making a rectangle.

There are DSLR cameras that allow interchangeable / replacement ground glass focusing screens, from memory you're using a Nikon D90, you might be able to get a grid ground glass for the D90, but even if such was available I wouldn't go to the effort or the expense - I mention grid focusing screens only so you know that they might be available.

And yes, as was mentioned in your other thread, you probably do need a wider lens, anyway.

WW

• Like 1

Never thought about that, but it’s a good idea. There are also ‘director’s viewfinders’ for this. I always wanted to get one of those for when walking around and quickly previsualizing shots but without the need to take out the camera if it’s not in hand. . .

Yep nice toy, thanks for the link. I reckon I'd like one, now, too - The most continuous time I've had behind a cine camera was when in college: at the time I barely had enough money for 5x4 and 120 film, let alone a spare $300 (AUD) for a fancy scope like that!

WW

. . . But mostly, as long as you take care of the 3:2 composition in-camera and on-site, the crop to 4:3 will also be good, especially with the latitude when cropping from a wide-angle.

Also agree.

The use of the cut out was suggested as a LEARNING AID. Once mastered, it will become second nature for g_snow to simply "see" the crop in his/her mind.

WW