Re-Tooling my kit

ejchem101

<p>So, over the past few years I have kept myself fairly busy buying/selling used camera gear to try things out. I started out on completely manual film cameras about 18 years ago (i'm 28 now). I was mainly self taught on film, my first digital was a kodak, and then when I had a full time job I picked up a D60 with a 50 1.8 I used that for about 2 years, when I decided to pick up a 20D - Then the Gear Aquisition picked up.</p>

<p>From that point about 6 months later, I picked up a 5D because I was having so much fun with the 20D. I used the 5D for a little over a year, putting about 5k shots on it. I then saw a good deal on at 1D mark II so I sold the 5D (for a little more than I payed for it) and tried out the 1D II. I liked it so much I sold that and bought a 1Ds mark II!</p>

<p>Well... in the course of about 5 years I have worked myself from a D60 to a 1Ds mark II. Don't get me wrong, over these 5 years I have taken somewhere in the range of 25k images across all of these cameras, and I have learned a ton! However, I feel like I have outdone myself. I am an amateur. I take some senior portraits, some landscapes, some macros - but - I take photos for the enjoyment.</p>

<p>The 1Ds mark II is an amazing machine, and the greatest camera that I have ever used! But - I have noticed that I loved the photos out of the 5D mark I just as much as I do out of the 1Ds mark II (sure the AF is tons better, but at the sizes I print I can't tell the difference in IQ)... and I found myself taking it along more often because of the size and weight difference.</p>

<p>For the first time in many years, I am going to go backwards. I'm going to simplify. As amazing as the 1D series is - I have to admit that they are not for me. Am I alone here? or are there more of you that would chose to use a XXD / 5D / 7D instead of the 1D series.</p>

<p>With the used prices at the moment, I am able to net probably around $800 + a used 5D. That is enough to pay for my wife and I to have a nice trip to Utah this summer, where I can put that 5D to good use!</p>

<p>Am I crazy?</p>

If you are doing it for fun (i.e. you don't

HAVE TO bring pics) use whatever floats

your little boat without any regard to what

other people think or suggest. The 5D was

perhaps the most important camera of the

XXI century and still delivers so go for it

(just learn how to clean the sensor...)

<p>I am with you on size and weight, not because I have used any 1D body but because my last film bodies were a 3 and a 1V, and I had a PB-E2 booster. I learned my lesson from that combination and have never considered any of the 1D series – like you, I am under no obligation to take into account anyone but myself over choice of equipment.</p>

<p>I had a 5D as my first FF digital body, so I have no problem understanding why you liked it. But I also found that the move to a 5DII was a significant step up, especially in the areas of improved sensor performance and the addition of Live View. The new price on the 5DII has now dropped to a level that makes it very attractive, and no doubt s/h prices echo this. If you can make the finances add up, I would suggest you go for a 5DII.</p>

<p>My brother shoots with a 30D and creates some awesome nature images.<br>

My sister-in-law shoots with a 5D (Original) and creates some awesome portraits and commercial images.<br>

My daughter shoots with a 7D and creates some awesome portrait and nature images.<br>

I shoot with a 20D, 5D MkII and a 1D MkII, and ... they are all three awesome cameras. Since I only shoot for myself anymore, if I had to get rid of two of the cameras, I would without doubt keep the 5D MkII. I would also not hesitate to keep a 5D or 7D if those were options, and while I have not tried one out, what I have read about the 60D would also make it a viable option.<br>

I have been to workshops with two of the best wedding/portrait photographers in the world and neither were using pro series cameras. In 2006, one was using the 5D, and in 2008, the other was using a consumer grade Nikon (don't remember which). Good enough for them, it's good enough for me.<br>

Even now, I often go out with the 20D and 35 f/2 lens when I'm going to be roughing it or on a motorcycle. Only place I hesitate to choose this excellent camera is in very low light. </p>

<p>Update: So as I'm contemplating the move back to a 5D (to save the cost of around $800) ... and agonizing the thought of my 1Ds (and it's AF, sealing and ergonomics) not being in my bag, I get an email from a co-worker.</p>

<p>"I'm getting married in summer of 2013 in Florida. When we come back to michigan, we would like you to take some casual candid photos at the reception here."<br>

I have spoken to her about it before, and she is very understanding that I am not a wedding photographer, just an amateur portrait / wildlife photog. They have a pro working their wedding in FL and reception there, but just wanted a record for the reception here.</p>

<p>This is basically what I was needing to hear to hold onto this amazing body... just ... something that could justify the cost of around $800 for an amateur like me, this was it.</p>

<p>We already have the tickets to Utah purchased... and i'm not completely certain why I was thinking about selling my "dream" body at this point.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for your support of my craziness thinking of dumping the 1Ds II, but I just can't let it go!</p>

<p>If you really need to, you could replace your 1Ds mkII with a 1Ds mkI - you'd still have the 1 series benefits,<br>

along with a bit more cash. Originally many people found the mk1 to mk2 upgrade to be significant; but in<br>

the age of 1Dx, I'm not sure it matters all that much. I use the mk1 for fun. It is very slow compared to my<br>

7D (processing time that is; auto focus is comparable), but image-wise it is its equal, or better, as long as<br>

you don't need high iso.</p>

<p> </p>