1. Did you notice an improvement in resolution at 300mm portrait mode, after

it was serviced?

2. Did the problem returned after a couple of month of use after it was

serviced?

3. Was the zoom creep fixed and then returned after a couple of months use,

after it was returned?

4. Does anyone here on the same situation but never bothered to return the

lens, and after months of use the lens sharpness at 300mm portrait mode

worsened or stayed the same, compared to when it was new?

I'm asking this because, If after months of use prior to the fix, and the

barrel loosens up again, the small problem might return . so it might not be

worth it, to send the lens after all. Thats what I like to know.

Thank you for your time.

I have that lens but mine was a post recall serial number so I didn't have the problem. My understanding though is that Canon didn't bother with fixing the problem but instead replaced the lens with a new one (but I could have been missinformed)

I never noticed the problem with my copy before sending it in, but I sent it in anyway, thinking that if I ever decide to sell it, the buyer would want to know if the fix had been applied. Since I didn't see the problem to begin with, the only difference I really see now is that the barrel is tighter (but it's only been a week since the lens was returned to me).

For what it's worth, Canon returned the lens to me in under a week. I'd go ahead and send it in while you can.

I returned mine in may this year as it had the problem and it was quite bad. I had to wait 5 months (!) to get it back... Now the problem with image quality is fixed but the AF/MF selector remains stuck on the MF position, even though the AF still works correctly, but the problem is I just can't change the focussing mode to MF... This is very weird and I am p...ed off.

Hi Im in the same situation and haven't returned the lens. I can't see a problem with it on my

20D but Im assuming that you can only detect the problem with the lens on a full-frame

body? Even so, I can't be arsed returning it. Im unlikely to sell the lens either.

If you don't have a problem the main reason to return it for fixing would be so you could sell it at some point. If you have an early lens that hasn't been "fixed" no knowledable buyer will want it.

I'd never notice the problem with mone, but I had it "fixed" anyway.

The "fix" also gives you an extra 6 months warranty on the problem from the date of repair.

I have one of the first of these lenses. I hadn't noticed the portrait problem until someone reported it on the Net, checked mine on a lens target, and it was obviously there as a loss of detail at the top and bottom of the frame at 300mm f5.6, and to a lesser extent at f8.

Early repair attempts reported on the Net seemed to involve just trying to tighten up the lens, which might mean the problem could re-appear later.

When Canon reported a permanent fix for the problem I sent mine in for repair. I believe the fix involves the replacement of the entire optical assembly (including image stabiliser). My lens now feels completely different, with a firmer zoom action, no lens creep, and no play at the end of the lens at 300mm.

I would recommend getting your lens fixed.

David Hay