RAW processing using PS Element 10 with 6D

graskett

<p>I just upgraded to a new 6D from a 40D. With the 6D i can not process RAW files using PS Element 10. When I try to open a RAW file in element 10 I get a message that it cannot open because it is the wrong type of file. I've never had a problem processing RAW images using Element 10 shot with the 40D. Can someone enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>You are now trying to use a newer camera with an older version of Photoshop Elements and Elements 10 may not support it. If there are no updates for Adobe Camera Raw within Elements 10, you'll have to upgrade to a newer version (the current version is 13; I use 12). cb<br>

Update: I did some research and I think that you'll need PSE 11 or newer as Camera RAW 7.3 is needed for your camera and PSE 10 won't support it. Time to upgrade Elements! cb</p>

<p>An alternative, at least a temporary fix until you upgrade, is to convert your RAW files to Adobe DNG format. Elements 10 should handle DNG format with no problems. If you do go with DNG, I suggest making copies of the RAW files, save the originals, and convert the copies to DNG...</p>

<p>Gary,<br>

There are two problems at play here.<br>

1. RAW is not a single format. While the files that come out of various cameras may all be called RAW and may have the same suffix (.cr2 in the case of Canon EOS DSLRs) they are not the same. New cameras introduce new features that result in the files they output being different. The RAW files from your 6D aren't the same as those from your 40D and as the 6D didn't exist when PSE10 was published it doesn't know how to read/process those files.<br>

2. Adobe have taken the decision that it is uneconomical/too time consuming to issue updates to all the old versions of their software every time one of the camera makers launches a new camera. The latest versions of PSE, Lightroom and Photoshop will get updates that can read the new files but for older versions they provide a piece of software that will convert the new RAW files into DNG files that the older software can read. <br>

So you have two choices. First is to upgrade to the latest version of PSE (or buy Lightroom if you are interested in getting properly into RAW processing), second is to download the free DNG converter<br>

Windows - <a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows">http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows</a><br>

Mac - <a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows">http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh</a></p>

<p>Couple of weeks back I bought the newest version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 for $69.99, not a major investment by any means. Its probably worth the investment for the improvements and the newer cameras it supports. Good luck!</p>

<p>If you're very used to PS Elements, the easiest way is upgrading to the latest version Elements. But if possible, I'd really recommend moving up to Lightroom. the boxed version isn't vastly more expensive than Elements, and a lot better when you have to deal with a lot of files. If you currently find that 90% of your work is done in the Adobe Camera Raw module, then Lightroom really makes a better choice as you get ACR on steroids with a proper workflow around it. You can still then use PS Elements to do the finishing touches on the files that come out of Lightroom.</p>

<p>There are alternatives to Lightroom which can be worth the consideration too, but Lightroom is the most popular and given you know Adobe Camera Raw, probably the most familiar. Personally, I use CaptureOne, and it does 99% of what I need, only a remaining 1% of the files ever needs editing in Photoshop Elements. If you do not use a catalog and do not foresee using one, DPP is free and worth trying. The advantage of tools like these is that they're optimised to do all the frequent work as quickly and simply as possible. PS Elements is more swiss army knife - maybe more competencies, but more fiddly too.<br>

So, maybe it might be a fine moment to download the trial versions of Lightroom, CaptureOne, give DPP a run and see if maybe those tools get you the results you want faster, and easier.</p>