RAW file in DPP 2..1

radu_diaconu

Hi,

I was just wondering how to save the RAW file in DPP so I can access it later

and still have the RAW adjustement window.

The reason why I ask, is because when I save to a TIFF (16Bit)file, and the

original image is a RAW image, i can't access the RAW adjustements, only the RGB.

Can any of you feed me on this.

Thanks again.

P.S: I'm using 1D Mark II and 24-70L

Radu D.

Radu, open the RAW, modify it and then just quit. It will ask you whether you want to save it, say yes, and it will add a "Recipe" to the RAW file. NExt time you open it you'll see the previous adjustments and still be able to come back to original, or re-modify (in the RAW thumbnail, not only RGB).

Only "convert" when you're done with all modifs.

Is this it?

Actually you don't have to quit to save the RAW markers. Simply use the save command after

you've completed your tweaks. You can always change them later as the RAW file is

untouched. The adjustment markers are the only thing changed.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks to all,

I know that I can save the recipe, so I can use that specific modification to other photographs in the future. But, if I want to unload the pictures from my CF or SD card, I have to save them as something, and my only options are TIFFs or JPEGs.

So, If I save to TIFF and save the recipe also, I can open the file in TIFF, add the recipe, but I still don't have the RAW adjustement controls afterward.

Thanks I got it.

When you finish with your image, you just have to click: add recipe and save AS....

It will save your file as a RAW file and still give the RAW adjustements for next time.

The only downside is that you can't batch process.

Anyway,

Thanks to all of you.

Radu D.

I don't get it...

<p>

<em>When you finish with your image, you just have to click: add recipe and save AS....</em>

<p>

Suffices it to "Add Recipe and Save", not necessarily "As".

<p>

<em>The only downside is that you can't batch process.</em>

<p>

You can select the RAW thumbnails and only Save these, it'll add a recipe to each. If you just quit it will save them <em>all</em> RAWs that you modified (it'll add recipes to them).

<p>

You can also select some RAWs and Batch Process, then Kind of File JPG or TIFF and will apply the current recipe of each RAW you selected and convert it to JPG/TIFF.

Alexandru,

Sorry, I must be expressing myself very poorly.

You are right, you don't have to save AS, you can only save normally.

But, if you don't add a recipe and only save the file originaly, then you must do it one by one (that's what I seem to be doing right now...but maybe I'm wrong).

Because if you want to discard them from the card, and only want them as RAW, not TIFF, then it's the only way to do it - without wanting to add any recipe - (or so I have found).

Regards,

Radu D.

<em>But, if you don't add a recipe and only save the file originaly, then you must do it one by one (that's what I seem to be doing right now...but maybe I'm wrong).</em>

<p>

I don't get it... why don't you select them all (ctl-A) and then save? It will save what you've selected. Or just select one thumbnail, then another one with Ctl-LeftClick. Or just mark them Alt-1 (Adjustment->Add Check Mark 1) each thumbnail you want to save (it will add a 1-checkmark) and then Ctl-Alt-1 (Edit->Select Chk Mark 1 only) and then Save.

<p>

<em>Because if you want to discard them from the card, and only want them as RAW, not TIFF, then it's the only way to do it - without wanting to add any recipe - (or so I have found).</em>

<p>

You work on the card directly? Just copy all on hdd, backup on dvd and then come back to work... anyways.

<p>

Sorry, each one has their workflow. You may be right in your setting.

Alexandru,

One last thing. I did click CTRL+A and selected them all and then clicked the save button.

What I'm trying to say, in my case, is that it will still pop a window for every file and ask you to save that specific file, so in the end, it comes back to saving each one individually.

I'm still new to digital photography, so just trying to learn what the best method is, but thanks for you feedback and comments.

Regards,

Radu D.

I merely drag 'n drop the files from card to HD. Take a mere flick of the wrist. That way you

know where they are. I working on a Mac. I assume you can do the same on Windows.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"But, if I want to unload the pictures from my CF or SD card, I have to save them as something, and my only options are TIFFs or JPEGs."

You can save them as RAW files, and this is the best way to go. Manipulate them as much as you like. Use <File-Add recipe and save> to keep the changes, but without losing original data. This is different from saving the recipe so you can apply it to other images.

Save all the modifications in a batch by selecting images, then <File-Add recipe and save> OR just quit and answer "Yes to all" in the dialogue box.

"One last thing. I did click CTRL+A and selected them all and then clicked the save button."

Save button? If you click <File-Add recipe and save> it should do the batch without further dialogue. If you click <File-Add recipe and save AS>, then you get a dialogue box for each image inviting a new name, save location, etc.