RAW and JPEG captures

<p>Hi,<br>

OK,probably a dumb question, but here goes.....<br>

My Nex 6 has these 'Picture Effects', which can only be done in Jpeg mode from what I gather and to capture the same image in RAW means I cannot use the Picture Effect with the Image Data Converter that came with the camera, or rather, there is no section for those in the IDC program.<br>

Is there a way that allows me to be in a Picture Effect for a Jpeg that also allows the capture of a RAW file in Normal mode, as it were. If not, what is the purpose of having a RAW and Jpeg captured at the same time?</p>

<p>Andy.</p>

<p>It would seem that you ought to be able to get both Picture Effects jpeg file with the RAW file. I suppose the processor isn't fast enough for Picture Effects and the recycle speed to shoot your next shot becomes too slow. </p>

<p>Of course having regular jpeg and RAW speed processing if you don't need RAW unless you want to do some really special processing for a special print for example. Meanwhile, your jpegs could be sent to the newspaper you work for right away or used by you to put together a vacation slide show.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I was hoping to get 2 images of the same scene; a Jpeg with a picture effect of some sort and a straightforward RAW image as well; trying to set up an altered Picture Effect pic is pretty clunky and , of course, you'd be trying to work with the 2 formats at the same time! which could lead to a lot of grinding gears inside the camera. Must read the Manual and stop asking questions which have no answers.</p>

<p>It's a shame that the Picture Effect cannot be used in RAW mode as it would be much easier to effect changes when using the computer screen as opposed to the camera's screen.<br>

<br />Andy.</p>

<p>Many digicams have some nifty special effects that are JPEG-only. The raw file isn't saved so there's no going back. You have to experiment to decide whether it's worth the risk of committing to those looks.</p>

<p>The Ricoh GRD4 has a few film effects I really like that are JPEG-only and difficult to duplicate from the raw files in Lightroom or other editors I've tried. The bleach bypass, cross processing, color slide film and high contrast b&w modes are all pretty good but it's necessary to commit to those looks because there's no raw backup. However the Ricoh allows three-shot image mode bracketing, done simultaneously rather than in three consecutive exposures, which makes it less risky to use these JPEG-only effects.</p>

<p>The Fuji X-A1 has fewer JPEG-only special effects that interest me. Most of those special effects are dreadful and I wouldn't use 'em twice. The advanced filter spot color b&w is trite, and the dynamic tone is so dreadful I can't imagine any use for it. The miniature effect is okay, tho' a bit cliched now, and can be mimicked in other software. The X-A1's real strength is in the standard color and b&w modes, which usually can be backed up with raw and re-converted in the camera. Some of the "easy" modes are JPEG only and probably best avoided even by newbies. I don't see the point of taking advantage of the excellent Fuji color and b&w modes and not also backing them up with raw for the option of in-camera raw conversions in case the user decides b&w might work better than color, or vice versa.</p>

<p>If you enjoy some of those special effects you can probably emulate them pretty well in special effects software. onOne Perfect Effects is pretty good, although a bit resource intensive. But there are many others.</p>

<p>If your camera allows it, there a setting in the menu called <strong><em>JPEG + RAW</em></strong> or something like that. Then you take one shot and two files are stored on the memory card. </p>

<p>When you transfer the two files to your computer, you have to have a program that opens the proprietary RAW file, usually the software that came with the camera. Other non-camera programs like Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. will also have software to open the RAW files. </p>

<p>The jpeg files are not proprietary and can be open by any image program including one that is in your computer or cell phone, or ipad or laptop.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

There is so (?too) much learning with these digital cameras.. they seem to be able to do everything, except the thing you want at that moment. By looking through the Manual I find that half the programs only operate in RAW and that other options operate differently when in RAW ! And some not at all. <br>

Thanks for your advices..I am going to look out for that onOne Perfect Effects.</p>

<p>Yup, some cameras and modes permit saving raw and JPEG simultaneously. There may also be options to save the files at less than maximum dimensions. For example, rather than saving at 4000x3000 pixel dimensions, the user might chose to save at 2000x1500 pixel dimensions. This might be useful for special projects such as stills that will be combined into time lapse video at 1080 HD (we're still years away from any practical use for 4k video online).</p>

<p>With some cameras it's also possible to shoot at maximum pixel dimension resolution raw files and lower quality JPEGs. For example, a 4000x3000 raw file, plus a JPEG in basic quality (roughly equivalent to saving at 50% quality in Photoshop) and 800x600 pixel dimensions. This might be useful for quickly sharing JPEGs online, straight from the camera, while archiving the raw files to re-edit more carefully later.</p>

<p>Regarding onOne Perfect Effects, while it offers some excellent editing tools, it's a high resource demand software. You'll need a computer with a pretty good video card/GPU, otherwise it may seem sluggish. There are lots of free, shareware and affordable photo editors with special effects, so you could stay busy for the rest of the year trying one a week until you find one that fits your needs. And for mobile users, lots of folks really like Snapseed. I enjoyed the PC version of Snapseed when it was available, but it's strictly a mobile app only now for tablets and smart phones. Fun app though.</p>