Rates for second-shooters and assistants?

studio460

<p>I may soon be starting to work with an established wedding photographer as a second-shooter. Conversely, I was also asking other photographers I know today (I commonly work events where dozens of other photographers are also present) about hiring them as second-shooters when I eventually get to do my first wedding as a primary. What are common rates for second-shooters and assistants (for weddings) for a major market (e.g., Los Angeles)? I was thinking $600-$800 for a second, but I have no idea what to pay an assistant.</p>

<p>I typically pay 2nds $2-300 for the day, on occasion, when the client prefers an 'inspired' second, and is willing to pay it, that can get (rarely) as high as $400. I'm not in a 'major' market, but even for NY or LA, $600-800 seems a bit high to me... maybe that's just me though.</p>

<p>However, I've never needed, nor paid, an assistant, though I think for particularly stressful days, $125-150 seems reasonable.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input, Marcus--much appreciated! I would LOVE if I could pay an experienced shooter only $300/day! I thought I'd be low-balling if I offered $500. For the assistant, I was secretly hoping to pay $150, but I don't know anyone who would show up for that amount, so I'll probably have to cough up more like $250.</p>

<p>Like I said, I don't know LA... but starving artists are available in most locales. If I can't get somebody I've worked with before, CL (and a contract!) is my best friend. The ones who think you are lowballing don't answer, those who do (most of the time) are willing to work for what you say you'll pay... and worstcase, since you <em>do not include your contact info</em> <em>on the listing</em>, if you can't find anyone, bump it up a notch and repost.</p>

<p>Ironically, I would LOVE if I could pay $600-800 for a decent second, as they are <em>certainly</em> often worth that (and more), but that's a big chunk in my bottom line.</p>

<p>I have been shooting in NYC for over 16yrs and most seasoned shooters will have there fixed fee regardless of first or second position. I never understood the second shooter rate unless of course it is someone gaining experience. That said rates here for photographer range $125 to $200 per hour. The assistance range from $25 to $40 per hour. If you pay cash you can pay the lower rates generally. Most experienced photographers or assistants will tell you what there rate is, not vise versa. </p>

<p>Just wanted to add that a second photographer is an add on in your pricing. If you are talking about having an assistant/photographer take some candids then we are talking about a totally different animal.</p>

<p>Michael said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That said rates here for photographer range $125 to $200 per hour . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks, Michael--$200/hour is the rate I've been hearing from my some of my agency photographer friends.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most experienced photographers or assistants will tell you what there rate is, not vise versa.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, that's what I've been asking, "What's your rate for . . . ?" I certainly have a number in mind for myself when I meet with the guy I may second-shoot for. Thanks again for your input--very appreciated!</p>

<p>Marcus said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Like I said, I don't know LA . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks again for your input. L.A.'s a funny place. Most wire-service/photo agency shooters I know are working for peanuts--as low as $150-$250 per event (the staffers do pretty well, though). In contrast, other freelance rates appear to be fairly high (e.g., $200/hour). So, here, rates tend to be all over the map, depending on the segment of the business you're in. In the film days when I worked in marketing, I used to pay medium-format shooters between $800-$1,200/day for commercial photography.</p>

<p>I've been thinking about it, and I would only really need a second at the groom's house (or, his prep area at venue), processional (family reaction shots), and ceremony. So, I could conceivably book a higher-rate shooter (e.g., $200/hour) for only a few hours, instead of all-day.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, you want your 2nd shooter to bring in at least double what you're paying him/her. If you pay your 2nd $50/hour, your client should have paid you $100-$150/hour to have that 2nd shooter present. There should be added value for everyone involved. :) Even if you don't break down your 2nd shooter cost by the hour, have that formula in mind when you're setting your two-shooter rates and figuring your payout to the 2nd. There is a lot of additional work incurred for you when you add another photographer to the mix. Make sure you're being compensated as well as your 2nd!</p>

<p>The bottom line is you don't want to pay him out of your own pocket. I have paid others to help me and did not make anything off of them mainly because of budget but i valued the service they provided me. Ralph keep in mind that most wedding photographers only work sat and sun so they are only looking for full day rate jobs. In cases where it is only a few hours the rate has to be at a premium and when is is up to 5hrs it is considered at the day rate. Paying cash is also an incentive.<br>

You may be better off training someone who can already take decent pictures. I have some one that does candids for me but only turn arounds and nice and tight. You cant really screw that up unless your camera settings are wrong or you overexpose it. Those are the shots that make the money not the artistic beautiful shots that we like taking. Yes they put one or two in but the rest are basic shots showing family and friends.</p>

<p>Anne said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There is a lot of additional work incurred for you when you add another photographer to the mix. Make sure you're being compensated as well as your 2nd!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you for the advice! Makes sense!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ralph keep in mind that most wedding photographers only work sat and sun so they are only looking for full day rate jobs. In cases where it is only a few hours the rate has to be at a premium and when is is up to 5hrs it is considered at the day rate.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good point. However, everyone I have approached doesn't normally shoot weddings--they shoot red carpet events for photo agencies or wire services (I don't know any wedding shooters). Plus, many of these guys' rates aren't that high, so I think $400-$500 would do it for a few hours' work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You may be better off training someone who can already take decent pictures.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That was my first thought. But I figured I wanted someone I could count on 100%--someone who I know won't miss the shot. These red carpet guys will definitely nail it. This would be for ceremony reactions, etc.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>All should go well then . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ha! That remains to be seen, Michael . . . this is a tough gig you gals/guys have! By the way, I was looking at your site the other day--your work is gorgeous!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Ralph,<br>

I do quite a bit of second shooting here in NYC. It suits me because I have a day job and a family so being a second means I get to shoot while avoiding hours of post processing, album design, client relations, etc.<br>

My rate is $500 + expenses (gas, tolls, parking, postage) + a meal at the event, although I have been paid anywhere from $400 to $850 as a second photographer depending on the scope and duration of the job, and the number of jobs I get from a given studio over the course of a year.</p>

<p>One important topic that hasn't been addressed here is image rights of the second photographer. You should state up front what you expect in that regard. In my case, I expect to retain copyrights to my images. Generally speaking, I will not shoot on someone else's memory cards and hand them over at the end of the night. Instead, I keep everything I shoot and will mail a hard drive or DVDs to the studio a few days after the event. Most photographers will allow me blogging rights assuming I link back to their site which is fine with me. Others would rather I didn't use any images online at all, but I always reserve the right to use any image in print such as in a demo album or business card.<br>

At any rate, just have this discussion up front so both parties know what to expect.</p>

<p>T</p>

• 1 year later...