Rate Recent Sum

There we go. The TRP that's based on images going through the RFC, "Photographer Request for Critiques." David, I believe this is what many members, at least based on the Site Feeback Forum, feel is the level playing field, and evidently the admin had responded to the, "Suggestion Box." The, "Rate Recent Sum," images can be found in the, "Rate Recent," under the, "Gallery," header. This is the images where one would rate and/or comment based on an image alone without the knowledge of photographer.

On a side note, I would really like to know the definition of the rest of filters, such as, "Photogs Sum, Ratings," "Photogs Sum, Photos," "Folder View," etc.

Oops, I guess it's not the RFC, but rather all uploaded images, with or without request for critiques. Very interesting! It's kind of fun to see the TRP get cycled around with different filters just to mix it up a bit. I'm not quite sure as to what the TRP resulting quality might be. Better, or worse. Sure is worth a try, I guess.

Just guessing at how this works also and correct me if wrong but... rfc requested are sorted in absolutly random order? With images not requested stuck at the back and rates are not shown on them, until opened? And even if no rates at all they are on there?

Sure appears so and maybe a glitch cause this image was submitted for rfc but is in back with no numbers...so whats that mean?

http://www.photo.net/photo/3265609

Also this image of Jayme's was submitted, has 13 rates total but only shows 1 rate on the thumb...now totally lost....but like the concept, just wondering the criteria for it.

http://www.photo.net/photo/3266221

I think what's happening is, the sort for "rate recent sum" totals the rates given for aesthetics and originality that are posted through the RFC. In other words, if the rate is posted through the members page and not through the RFC, it won't count in this sort. What this does is eliminate photos that are not submitted to the RFC until the photo has garnered sufficient mate rates to push it to the front.

I suspect that any rates posted through the TRP will also be ignored by this sort. So....the only rates that count for this sort are the rates posted directly through the RFC and no other place.

I could be wrong but that's how it seems.

The beauty in this sort is that it eliminates the mate rates and the "halo" rates from determining placement. Only the rates closest to anonymous will count. It also means that the TRP will be driven only by those who post rates through the RFC.

I suspect this will change the rating habits of many people on this site. I look forward to seeing how it evolves. I applaud administration for finally taking this step!

It will be interesting (and perhaps fun) to see who starts posting complaints in this forum about the new default sort.

And to really level things PN should remove the author and title from the "rate recent" interface. As it stands it would still be possible for mate raters to constantly be clicking through until they find a buddy.

Laurie. I'm not sure if that is correct. My reason is all the photos I've checked have only about 9 out of 25 or so rates counted. If I vote directly from a photographers photo as opposed to the rate recent que and the photographer has requested a critique does my rate count or is it only through the rate recent que?

David,

Not too long ago, Brian explained how this particular sort worked. I tried to find the thread but couldn't. If I remember correctly (about a 50/50 chance)my understanding is that this sort only looks at rates posted through the rate recent que.

It's possible Brian has changed how this sort works.

I appreciate Brian's efforts. The TRP looks good for the 3-day view. However, as you advance the time line beyond a month the diversity changes dramatically. What you end up with are pages with nothing but nudes. You might as well be searching with the Ratings filter selected.<p>

I still think that we need a good old fashioned Spring cleaning around here instead. The problem with Spring cleaning is that it takes elbow grease to do a good job. The boss needs to higher some help. Regards.

Walter, I just looked at the rate recent sum for the period "all". You're right - not ONE SINGLE picture wasn't a nude. It doesn't bother me at all - I'm sure that things will even up if this new default is left in place long enough. I think that if somebody only wanted to see nudes, then going to the critique forum and selecting nudes was probably their best way of achieving that.

I only hope the mate raters don't find a way around the new sort. The interesting thing will be to see if the familiar names start appearing. After all, they don't like the general masses rating their pics, so what are they to do? I think we'll see a sudden volte face on their part for sure.

That's it Laurie "I suspect that any rates posted through the TRP will also be ignored by this sort. So....the only rates that count for this sort are the rates posted directly through the RFC and no other place."<p>

Very clever indeed. It brings out diversity ;-)

. . and how do you imagine they will 'adapt'?

If the usual suspects start rating off the RFC queue and if their rates are inordinately high or low, I would think those rates could be defined as dishonest.

In the mean time, the one weakness that remains is that we still have popular content due to the prevailing tastes of those who have been rating off the list. What we should be encouraging is a serious increase in the use of the RFC queue by experienced photographers and long time members who gave up on the gallery long ago because it was so corrupt.

Well folks, It's time to support the new improved version by going to the polls and voting. It's your civic duty.

Of course you'll have plenty of time for this new activity, now that there won't be as many interesting feedback threads to read.

Well, adapting will mean smoke signals to pals to go into the Rate Recent cue, and even then there may be a lot of hunting. Essentially, if they're going to find a way to mate rate with this setup, they're really, really gonna have to work for it.

Agreed, too, re the diversity on the TRP. I'm happy, and too thank the administration for making the changes!

Just an FYI for how bad it's gotten to get us to this point? One frequent recipient of mate rates is on page one of the TRP now, with 8 ratings having pushed it there. The total number of actual rates given to the image for it to count? 8. 52 friggin' halo and mate rates. Pretty indicative...

Those figures make for interesting reading, don't they. As I said above, I wonder how long it will be before these guys start requesting RFC or find a way to circumvent the new default?

However, the new view is great, but does it need some fine tuning? The view is pretty static and without some minor modifications or changes in rating practices, will the same images not fester there for too long? As the view is only based on ratings received in the RFC queue, when images get to 10 rates and fall to the back of the queue, is their place on the rank not more or less fixed from thereon? Or, have I misunderstood how this is going to work?