Rangefinder Patch Flare Upgrade Update

I was at the Leica Day in Switzerland. The rep there told me it would

cost 400 SFr. to make the upgrade. Then I asked if they had enough

parts on hand to make the upgrade and he seemed to think it wouldnt

be a problem. I didnt ask specifically about if M7 users would be

required to pay for the upgrade but I guess we all just have to pay.

My bet is that they already had the improved finder for the M7 launch

but had a bunch of the old finders in inventory and didnt want to

take a hit so they sold it off to us "early adopters".

I don't get any flare so it's not an issue for me as a user. Initially I was very upset, and had every intention to have my 2 M7's upgraded in the interest of being able to sell them later on. But now I'm beginning to believe that by the time I'll want to sell them (I've got warranty for another 4 years) unless there's a digital back for them they'll be worth so little anyway that putting the new finder into them now would be throwing good money after bad. I think that in the film-less near future where film-only cameras are of interest only to collectors, the M7--regardless of the finder--will have even less appeal and value than the M4-2...particularly if there is a vestigal source for very expensive 35mm film past the time their unwillingness to digitize the M system costs Leica their bankrupcty and replacement electronics for the M7 become impossible to procure. And I say this as a devoted M7 lover.

Patrick I was informed that the $250 job was to replace the windows in the M6TTL and M6 Classic with the multi-coated windows of the M7 or MP, respectively. In other words, to upgrade the M6 series to the bogus lick-and-a-promise flare-fix of the early M7's. To upgrade M6 or early M7 to the current flare-free style requires changing the entire rangefinder, which was estimated at around $600.

Jay,

Did you talk directly to Leica NJ about that ludicrous $600 price? If it's right, I intend to write a stern letter to both Leica in NJ and in Germany and ask for an explanation as to why the price is so high. I understand that the raw business rationale that it's a complete swap-out, but are they going to throw those finders away? I think not.

I'll likely not get any satisfaction, if history is any guide, but I might feel better.

I think everybody in this world that has a Leica and a Internet connection is aware that Jay doesn't have a flare patch problem. I had a serious problem with my M6TTL though and sold it.

My M7 is serial number starts with 284 and doesn't have it, but it is a .58 VF that has less of a problem. I'm not sure at what serial this problem was actually corrected in the M7. Has there been any consensus on that already?

The information I got from Leica technical service is: they charge 250 Euro for what they call "MP modification". They�ll add a prism and a mirror in the rangefinder section (at least that�s what the guys at ts@leica-camera.com told me). Replacing the front RF windows with coated ones is another 50 Euro.<br>

Well, 250$ for just replacing the front RF windows is what I�d call overpriced - that should be 50$�<br>

I just sent in my M6 classic� So hopefully in 3 weeks I can tell you if that all worked�