Rangefinder camera with double exposure mode.

Hello !

Im recently found love in 35 mm photography, its started as one semester of classic photography on my art university.

I realy love experimentig with double exposures. That dreamy looking film is magical for me. Now im using Smena 8 for these experiments (yeah,poor student life ).

But i want to upgrade on small rangefinder camera. I found on this forum discusion about double exposures and somebody metioned Ricoh 500 me. And i fall in love ! But i cant find that camera in my country. Do you know any cameras with the same "button" for double exposure ?

Thanks for reading ! Have great day !

xQtJkod.jpg

Smena 8/Fuji film iso 200

If precise registration of multiple exposures is not essential you can do it with many cameras by holding in the rewind release button while advancing the film. Or if alignment is important an older camera that has a separate lever for cocking the shutter from film winding would also work. The only cameras that I can think of that have provisions for multiple exposures are SLRs. A few examples: Konica Auto Reflex T3, Minolta XE-7 (XE in Japan or XE-1 in Europe). Minolta SRT 202, most likely most of the Nikon F series, and many others.
  • Like 1

If precise registration of multiple exposures is not essential you can do it with many cameras by holding in the rewind release button while advancing the film. Or if alignment is important an older camera that has a separate lever for cocking the shutter from film winding would also work. The only cameras that I can think of that have provisions for multiple exposures are SLRs. A few examples: Konica Auto Reflex T3, Minolta XE-7 (XE in Japan or XE-1 in Europe). Minolta SRT 202, most likely most of the Nikon F series, and many others.

Thanks for reply ! SLR cameras are kinda new to me. (i'm bad clumsy beginner). I'm going to finding them on my local online bazaars! Great tip :-).

I have a couple of Canon rangefinders that are capable of double exposure. These are the early, Leica-looking rangefinders. Mine are both Canon IIIa's. There's a small lever next to the shutter release and film wind knob that, when flipped, does something that helps achieve double exposure. I don't know precisely how it works. I would definitely read up on this first before trying it, though. Mike Butkus (the net's best source for camera manuals in .pdf form) may have some old Canon rangefinder owner's manuals.

I also have a Canon P, a more modern rangefinder model, which is much more simple and streamlined in operation. I suspect that, with this camera, you merely have to press the button on the bottom to disengage film advance, same as is done with many modern film SLR cameras.

A technique I've used in the past to include the moon is to shoot a whole roll of moon photos at various focal lengths with bracketed exposure and then run the roll through the camera again with the landscape or other subject. Another method I've used is to process the roll of moon photos and then sandwich in darkroom with desired landscape.

As others suggested, many rangefinder cameras can double expose by engaging their rewind button or lever, just as the Ricoh 500 does. And the probable reason you can't find it in your country is simply they weren't made after the 1960s, so the most logical place to find them, as well as other rangefinder cameras is on an auction site like Ebay with wide international exposure (pardon the pun).

Topcon 35-S, 35-L, and 35-JL can all double-expose by cocking the shutter by hand. But not very common, and typically not cheap.

Probably cheapest multiple exposure camera is Pentax ZX-7 (a/k/a MZ-7). But you have to decide before first exposure that it will be a double.

You can re-cock the shutter for double exposures on screw-mount Leicas [and similar Canons and, probably most Leica copies] by depressing the shutter release, turning the high speed dial counter-clockwise, and taking your finger off the shutter release.