Random Lens Flare on 70-200 mm f/2.8 on Nikon D800

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by kobi_omenaka, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Hi All
    I wonder if you can help me out
    the below is an example of an image taken with my friends 70-200mm f2.8.(AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II)
    [​IMG]
    Or can use this link http://tinypic.com/r/zx7hqu/9
    This was shot yesterday at 200mm (wide open) Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/250 sec, f/2.8, ISO 100,

Does anyone have any idea what has happened here? Is it a fault with my settings (Nikon D800) or is this a problem with the lens itself. If I need to take it for lens repair what should i ask them to do to fix the problem?
    Regards
    K*
    00dZ7L-559057084.jpg

2. UV filter?

I wouldn't fault the camera, you're shooting into the sun. Obliquely, but enough to catch a reflective/refracting surface.

What to do to fix it?
    Change angle.
    Block sun with hand.
    Take off Tiffin filter, put on a PRO B+W MRC/Kaesemann filter

3. Flares when shooting close to the sun are the Achilles heel of this lens. It's a great lens, but you do run into this effect now and then (that's why it comes with such a big lens hood!). If the hood isn't enough to stop the flare, I have an assistant hold a big reflector board or other item over my camera to shade the lens.

4. The size of the lens hood actually shrank dramatically between 70-200 /2.8 VR-1 and VR-2, which doesn't help the
    problem. Also the new smaller hood for the VR-2 also has curved, rather than straight, front edge. This makes it very
    dangerous to stand the lens on its hood, unlike with every other Nikon lens hood. A totally idiotic design change.

5. Ah, I didn't know that, Chuck. I only have the VR-1 version. I wonder why it was redesigned?

6. Thanks for these thoughts guys! I guess it's really a case of better luck next time? As long as there's nothing mechanically wrong with the camera/lens combo then that is great.

7. It still seems strange a bit. I have the 70-200 f/2.8 VRI and the 70-200mm F/4 VR and both don't produce flares to the extent you experienced. But as Chuck pointed out, it is probably the redesigned lens hood.

8. I don't remember ever seeing flare like that from the 70-200/2.8 II. Usually when I have the sun just outside of the frame I get a general "white cloud" that covers most of the image area fairly evenly. With the Mk I of that lens I usually got many ghosts and some flare, in a similar situation but with the Mk II I don't remember having seen ghosting.

9. Very strange shape for a lens flare, looks like result from sun shinig through te view finde , ( using live view for this picture ?
    Or rmaybe a reflection from a window straight to the right of the lens, or possibly (rain) drops on the front lens ?
    Normal flair from the sun does not have these strange angles like to the right of the picture, since it is a "single point light source" of sorts..

10. Surprised you didn't see it in the viewfinder.

11. Surprised you didn't see it in the viewfinder.​
    Flares are often not obvious in the OVF. A digital display shows them better, but it may not be most useful in bright light either.

12. Thanks guys,
    so you don't think that there is a problem with the lens at all just a problem with my positioning and shooting into the sun?