Radioactive LTM Summicron Fogging Question

Serching I found this

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0084PL

"Harry Geron , apr 24, 2004; 12:34 p.m.

I wish people wouldn?t use that ?radioactive? handle so freely in regard to the early Summicrons. It?s true that some of them (under #1,000,xxx0 used glass (Thorium Oxide) in three elements that was mildly radioactive, but even at it s strongest emission, was less than 2.7 Mr/hr. . .?(The Early Summicron 50/2.0 Lenses by Bill Gordon?,LHSA Viefinder, volume 29 number 3.).

? At this point, the author must stress the fact that these lenses emit radiation at a very low level. The highest lever of radiation is measured at the front element, and the lowest level at the rear element. The level of radiation at the rear of the lens is so low, that it will not fog ASA 400 film, even after four weeks of constant exposure!? . . .

It is suggested that anyone interested in this matter familiarize him(her)self with this article.

I would certainly not wish to underplay the importance of this situation, but to employ the adjective ?radioactive? to a whole series of lenses without identifying the ones known as such further complicates the understanding of these ?peculiar? lenses."

I have a Thorium element Canon 35mm f2.0 Chrome nose and have had it on a camera body with film in it for as long a a couple of months and no sign of any problem. I have kept mine amber to enhance i's B&W contrast and I love the effects. Now as to why I have not used a camera for this lone when you have 16 Canon Fd mount bodies sometimes you foraget which one is next on the play list >

Old Coleman un burnt mantles from the 1970's are radioactive; weird pottery/glazes can be too. Old neon bulbs in 1960's Fluke differential volt meters were radioactive; these lamps are in the chopper feedback circuit. Most replacements bulbs are not radioactive; and they dont last as long in the circuit. The paved streets in a couple of Colorado town are radioactive. .

A geiger-counter showed none of the watches were radiaoactive; even the glow in the dark newer ones. The ancient radiaum watches were radioacative. A couple of foreign non USA mystery coffee cups with wild glaze are radioactive here; plus some old coleman mantels; plus the old aero ektars; and a few kodak printing ektars. None of the russian lenses; even the L/D ones I have are radioactive. The smoke detectors have a trace of radioactive material in them here; plus some old neon NE2 doped variants.

My yellow glass Summicron is one of the first batch #921654. I keep it (when not in use) on a IIIf RDST in one of those old lead lined bags (now useless) they used to sell to protect film from xrays.

Just playing it safe. I would sell it if I were really worried...

I used to have a SM 5cm cron over 1.3 million sn, definitely not yellow glass.

Leave the most radioactive part on top of a piece of B&W sheet film for a week in the dark and develop it. If you don't see any density, the shielding from the glass/metal/cloth and especially the distance to the film plane will give you 100's of times lower fog.