Racing at Monza

rick_janes

For those who've been at Autodromo di Monza to watch and photograph racing: are there public-accessible viewing areas where I can shoot the action without having to look through layers of cyclone catch fencing or the like? Direct unobstructed viewing, closer proximity, and some lead time for tracking subjects are all helpful. If there are some good locations for shooting the machines head-on during high-speed drafting manuevers I'd like to know that, too.

Grazie mille!

<p>Tougher to find those locations at most f1 tracks these days, Rick. I've not been to Monza, have been to Montreal, Melbournce and Austin, as well as a number of other tracks for other series. With the way that the safety-conscious track owners are installing higher fences and moving stands back, I find the only way that I'm able to get those kind of shots now, without being a professional allowed inside the fence, is with a longer lens, at a point high enough in the stands or on a bank to be able to see over the fence and focus at a longer distance. My current favorite is a 100-400, which does the job pretty well.</p>

<p>This is a shot at Montreal, from the hairpin, at the top of the stands there, as an example.</p><div>00bXCW-530771584.jpg.84ec8f2c24fd2ca77fb42cbf26704e69.jpg</div>

Monza's overall speeds are very high (World Superbikes hit 210+ mph!) and it doesn't look like a place where the

surrounding terrain itself gives you elevation for clear viewing of action, the way Laguna Seca's hillsides do for

example. I imagine there will be some contesting for those uppermost rows of grandstand seating? (friends tell me Italy

has everything but "personal space"), but spots along the Armco are okay...I can stand for hours if the action's right!

Still hoping for an experienced attendee of the Autodromo to chime in.

<p>I'm interested in hearing from an experienced person as well, Rick. I'd like to go to Monza and it would be good to have some info. before trying it. </p>

<p>One thing I've learned is that you can get great shots on the Friday and Saturday practice sessions, when there are usually less people there and you have more freedom to get around the track. The cars look the same on Friday morning as they do on Sunday, when everything is packed and you can barely move.</p>

Thanks Dave- at major events I usually aim for Thursday, prior to the teams fully energizing their defensive deflector shields! I will arrive at Monza with forty years of racing photography under my shutter finger and yet be a newcomer at that circuit...kind of like the first day at school, but you've studied just a bit.

(first race photos 10/14/1973, Laguna Seca Can-Am, winner Mark Donohue / Sunoco Porsche 917-30 turbo which I still maintain was brought to Earth by aliens!)

<p>That Porsche was a beast - and it setup the Can-Am series for years of bizarre vehicles. Who can forget the wedge-shaped Shadows? Talk about an alien vehicle!</p>

<p>I didn't realize how much experience you had, Rick. Its always fun to talk to someone with that much time behind a camera at a racetrack.</p>