RA4 C-41 analog printing inquiries.

Hey everyone!

I am trying to achieve a certain look within my imagery and I am getting a little frustrated. A lot of images that I am in love with are hand printed. I just love the dreaminess and quality you get from them and just the overall effect that they have. I am trying to find a place within the states that provides analog printing services. Like somewhere I can send my negatives off to and pay to have them printed and the prints sent back to me and from there I can scan them and use them for digital sites socials etc. I don't know specifically the best way to go about this but I have referenced links to images below that I love and was curious if you guys could help me find the best solution for me and tell me what it exactly is that I am looking for and point me in the right direction. A lot of people keep telling me that I could easily achieve what I am looking for in post but that is not what I am looking for and am specifically looking for hand printing. There are no darkrooms within my immediate area that I can do it myself and I also would prefer to send it to someone who knows what they are doing and will achieve what I am looking for. I know there are many places in London that provide these types of services but I am looking for locations in the US. I would so appreciate your guys help. Thanks!

LINKS

Lera Abova by Jens Ingvarsson for Favorite Magazine Spring-Summer 2018 - Minimal. / Visual.

http://www.steph-wilson.com/elle/3e2hhvtvqykrjqdlhjkzyb1bav5kzl

Harley Weir

Weir, Harley: Photography, Women

Dham Srifuengfung

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Analogue-only RA-4 printing is vanishingly rare today. Your best option is analogue-to-digital with RA-4 (hybrid) print output, or for a significantly wider, subtle gamut, inkjet.

AVOID scanning RA-4 or inkjet prints because the intense illumination from the scanner, particularly slow-pass scanning processes, can damage the print. Professional labs will scan your image for their use, and you can then request a duplicate of the production scan for your own use in promotion.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work,

and hard work too, no matter how pleasureable it my be.

.:: Edward Weston.

Reminds me of the question about what professional golfers do when

they retire.

At least for reasonable prices right now, digitally printed RA4 seems to be the way to go.

I suppose you can add all the analog imperfections to the image before printing.

Dust and scratches if you want those. Reduce the gamut to match that of film.

-- glen

"Reduce the gamut to match that of film."

No, we'd never do that. If anything, a wider gamut is more faithful to the film, but it will never be precise and exact.

Still, over 50 years of printing technology, which is still evolving, gets pretty darned close.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans