R6 stop-down metering only

<p>Yesterday I received a Leica R6 which I bought online; it looks completely new and with a pair of batteries, everything seems to be working (though obviously I haven't shop an entire roll with it yet). Alongside it, I bought a Macro-Elmarit R 60mm (E55). According to all information I can find, it should be a 3-Cam lens which means it should fully function with the R6.<br>

However, I only get stop-down metering; stopping down the lens does not change the metering reading at all. It's just a minor inconvenience, but I would like to understand what could be the cause so I can see whether it's worth it to try and fix this, or just live with the stop-down meter.<br>

Any ideas?<br>

__<br>

P.S. Hard camera to fit in the proper category: it does not require batteries to run, so it shouldn't be here; The Leica and Rangefinder forum seems more for Leica M and Classic Manual... it's too new! This camera perfectly fits the gap :-)</p>

<p>The Macro-Elmarit was available as 2-cam or 3-cam; with the former, only stop-down metering is available on your R6. It's easy to verify which version you have: a 3-cam has a black, three-tiered stepped cam just inside the second cam: http://www.kehblog.com/2012/03/leica-r-lenses-understanding-cams.html</p>

<p>However, since yours uses a E55 filter it's the 2nd version (Serial Numbers above 3013651) - it should indeed be a 3-cam. Please verify that the 3rd cam isn't missing.</p>

<p>Dieter, thanks, I'll have to check against that photo (I do not have the lens at hand now); serialnumber starts with 333, so as you said, I think it ought to be 3-cam, not 2. Thanks for the link as it has clearer photos than I found so far, so that makes things easier.</p>

<p>Robin, thanks, but the stop-down metering is just a minor inconvenience, so I won't spend money on fixing it, but if there would be a simple DIY fix with little risk, it'd be another thing. And thanks on confirming for the forum; I simply wasn't sure. If a moderator or admin can move it, fine with me of course!</p>

<p>Comparing to the photos in that blog, it should be a lens with only the 3rd cam - which I understand should be no issue.<br>

Depth of field preview works, I see the aperture close in the lens properly and the third cam rotates as I do that; I see the lever in the lens mount move as I use the DoF preview lever.<br>

So... could it be whatever piece in the lens mount should pick up on the 3rd cam doesn't do so? The only part of the camera that actually show a little use is inside the lens mount, center below a bit of brassing. The ring that sits there moves, but there is a little hook (bottom right of the mount) that is possibly a bit bent - could this be the issue?<br>

And just to be sure: the 3rd cam is only for metering? It will not affect closing down the aperture when I make an exposure, right?</p>

<p>3rd cam only should not create an issue - so it could indeed be that the camera can't "feel" that 3rd cam. One way to exclude that would be to try another lens - which might no be an option for you though. Or try the lens on another camera - same issue of getting access to one though.</p>

<p>AFAIK, the cam is just there to communicate the aperture information to the camera - similar to the AI ring on a Nikon camera. Unfortunately, the link to more information (Jem Kine's article) here is broken: http://leica.nemeng.com/001c.shtml IIRC, then the 3rd cam also provide information about the lens' vignetting characteristics so that the camera can take it into account when determining exposure.</p>

<p>Wouter, I cannot add any hands on experience like Dieter, but congratulate you for your purchase of a durable body and fine lens which at one time I also considered (but we cannot have everything we wish for) for the optics and the small body, created with some input from Minolta, and only slightly heavier than an M6 rangefinder. Leica isn't the only maker of excellent optics, but I have read in more than one place that their 65mm Macro-Elmarit-R is a very fine lens, with f4 and f5.6 yielding very detailed resolution and contrast of even very small details. One reviewer put it ahead of the well regarded 50mm Summicron-R in performance at normal ranges and you get the macro capability at equally high level.</p>

<p>Sorry to be off-topic. You will no doubt find it to be an excellent tool.</p>

<p>Arthur, thanks - so far I am enjoying it; it feels smooth, sounds smooth and the lens feels impeccably constructed. I deliberately chose the 60mm macro over a Summicron-R 50 since I already own a very high rated 50mm lens for my Nikon cameras and felt owning yet another fine 50mm would add too little. One of the things I often do miss, however, is close focussing with that 50mm, and hence this macro. So this Leica for me will stay a bit a "speciality kit", but one I hope that adds more versatility and fun.</p>