R4 not firing

MattB.Net

<p>I recently acquired a R4 with a Summicron 50mm f/2 from a friend's collection who passed away last year. The light seals are a little rough so I taped the film window and figured I'd try a roll of film to see how it did. I got new batteries and it seemed to be operating ok as far as I could tell and now I'm half way through a roll of 24. But last night I went to take a shot and the shutter wouldn't fire like it needed to be wound. But I also couldn't turn the advance lever. It goes into the on position but no farther. I have tried different modes too. <br /> I don't really know this camera well and I'm pretty rusty with film in general so I'm hoping I'm missing something or there's a way I can get it going again. When I look through the viewfinder it still seems to meter ok but I think this is a low enough serial number that it could have the electronic issues I have heard they get sometimes. <br /> So I'm hoping someone has an idea for something to try. I haven't unloaded the film yet but it doesn't feel like jammed film as I remember it from my Pentax ME Super days. <br /> If the body is shot I'll probably just get a Leitax mount and use the lens on K mount gear that I already have. But I also wouldn't mind using this body more if I can.<br /> Thanks in advance!<br /> Matt</p>

<p>I have an R5 that locks up occasionally. first see if your finder display is lighting up..cycle the mode switch under the shutter dial a number of times...also mount and dismount the lens a few times. battery compartment clean--i.e. no corrosion or dirt? clean with a pencil eraser. ditto with wiping the batteries clean. good luck..it's a good camera</p>