R2400 Quantity of ink flushed when changing cartridge.

Can't speak for the 2400 but with my 2200 and 1280 I'm quite certain that you absolutely do not encounter any situation where only one color is cleaned during a cleaning cycle or a cartridge change, they all get cleaned. Could be different with the 2400 though!

I am aware that ink is flushed when the photo black is changed to the Matte Black and vice versa.

I seem to be changing cartridges quite often. Can someone tell me 1) Is this across the eight inks or is it

isolated to the Black cartridge? 2) When changing individual cartridges is ink flushed from the other seven

cartridges and 3) when turning the printer on and off is ink flushed from the any of the cartridges? And

any ink conservation tips would be appreciated. Thanks

As far as I can determine: <br>

- either no or a very tiny amount of ink is consumed in the normal power-up cycle.

<br>

- when you fit or change cartridges, the head for that cartridge is primes and a very tiny

amount of ink might be consumed from the others. <br>

<br>

I've found that there is a fairly substantial residual amount of ink in the cartridges after the

low warning light begins to flash. It is much more economical to keep printing until the

R2400 stops the print queue and puts up a warning that ink is out. This is only really an

issue if you are printing with roll paper as you might lose some paper when the heads

prime and flush from the new cartridge startup.

<br><br>

Godfrey

Yeah, very good advice, there is quite an amount of ink still in those cartridges.I am

unhappy though that you have confirmed the flushing. I was reading some info from

Livicks older website, and I believe that some of the better third party inks may be a

possibility, if coated with Clearshield's LL. I would rather stick with Epson, however, I am

printing some fine art stuff and have to switch quite often from Matte black to Photo

black, because of this all my cartridges are at different levels, so I don't have the luxury of

changing two at a time. I also notice my ink light is now almost constantly flashing. I am in

Ireland and each costs over $21. So I estimate that the cost of the prints have trebled.

Some would argue that a few dollars is insignificant when you sell a print for hundreds or

thousands, but one must also count the cost of the many prints that never see the light of

day. Having spent many years in the darkroom I also understand the photographer may

often need to make multiple print variations as each image can be perfected with even the

slightest nuance. An economist might argue if ink was cheaper, much, much more of it

would be used as experimentation would be more affordable, hence manufacturer's profits

would increase. Thanks

guys.