R.I.T for an Undergraduate Photojournalism BFA ?

proy

<p>Hi. Canadian citizen here wanting to study in photojournalism. </p>

<p>For some weird reasons, I couldn't find anything interesting in Canada. So far, all my searches only led me to 2 different schools : Brooks Institute and RIT. From all that I read, seems like Brooks has really mixed reviews!</p>

<p>Has anyone attended the Undergraduate Photojournalism BFA program of RIT ? Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Thanks!! Patrick</p>

<p>I'm RIT Engineering '84<br>

Don't go too far into debt to do it is my thought. You do not want to be walking out of RIT (or most any other college) with huge school loan debt and a marginal degree that may not actually 'pay for itself' within your earning lifetime.</p>

<p>Wise advice from Howard. </p>

<p>I would point out that Brooks is not currently accredited by WASC but has applied. There is no assurance that they will be. This makes it tenuous to try to transfer credit from them to another school. There may be some employers who will not accept the degree as equal to one from an accredited school. </p>

<p>Okay, thanks for the clarification on Brooks Rick. It's indeed one of the things I had read about Brooks.</p>

<p>May I just ask.... I realize that RIT is expensive and all. More than aware of this! Too much actually. Just like I am so very much aware about the low job prospect of these fields, that I should probably be looking for something else. </p>

<p>I come from an IT background. I will have some money to pay. Will most likely perhaps need to dig into my pension plan which I collected over time working for the canadian government. I'm actually thinking maybe I could pull it off with about 15 - 20Ks in debts or so.</p>

<p>The hole debt thing, the job prospect thing is not what I want to know at this point. It's actually really discouraging me. Really. I just keep getting those feedbacks and it's not encouraging at all. To the poiint that the other option I was considering was studying camera in the filming industry, thinking it might open up more doors... even if it's not what drives me more. But then again, I got the same type of comments for that field of work as well. </p>

<p>Discouraging. Depressing. I quit my IT job because I am not meant for it anymore. Never was if you ask me! I'm meant to work WITH people, WITH image, WITH expression and emotion! What else can a guy do? </p>

<p>So, yes, I quite my very "stable", well paying job to become a "artist" if you will. I probably always was in my heart. </p>

<p>SO... now, well I'm looking at my options and looking at schools. And this is why I came here for help in that regard. I do feel like doing a bachelor degree as I never have. I <strong>do not</strong> feel like just googling, youtubing or spending my days buying books and learning just by myself. It's not eveyone that's meant to learn by themselves. Plus, well I've been doing it for 2 years already. Now, I feel I need to be fully emerged in it, surrounded by it, with others, with nothing else to distract me from. </p>

<p>My appologize if I might sound a bit... irritated or something here. I do not wish to sound bad or anything, it's just because I know the bad sides of the domain and all. I am informed. What I am not so informed with is my schooling options. And this is why I come for your help if anyone out there can comment on the actual teachings and the school(s) in themselves.... </p>

<p>I do appreciate you all trying to warn me. Really.</p>

<p>Thank you, Patrick</p>

<p> </p>

<p>P.s.: would anyone know why I can't seem to find similar programs such as the one from RIT or Brooks, but in Canada? Surely the prices would be more reasonnable...<br>

http://cias.rit.edu/schools/photographic-arts-sciences/undergraduate-photo-journalism<br>

http://www.brooks.edu/Degree-Programs/Film-Communication/Bachelor-Of-Fine-Arts-In-Visual-Journalism</p>

<p>If anyone knows of such programs in Canada... ? </p>

<p>Although I do still want to know feedback about the RIT one if anyone can comment ;) </p>

<p>Thanks! P.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...