R 4/250 first version - opinions please

vidom

I'd like to expand my R range, the longest lens I now have being a 2,8/135. As a

180 would be too close to the 135 I already have, I think about buying a 4/250

(1. version) because it is quite cheap. Any first hand impressions here? I've

read Erwin's "expertise" on this lens, but it can't really be that bad, can it?

Regards

Peter

I have been using the 250 (non-rotating tripod collar) for family sports (soccer on a mini

field) and general nature photography (whales and some birds). The lens is a decent but

not stellar performer. It is sharp but is nowhere near as sharp or contrasty as the 100

Macro or the 35 or 50 Summicron. The 250 is also somewhat flat with respect to colour

rendition. I used to have a Nikkor 300/4.5 back in my Nikon days and I would rate the

250 in that league. Decent, but nothing to get really excited about. f4 is a bit dark in the

R9 viewfinder and the focusing prisms have a tendency to black out. The bokeh is quite

nice though and the lens balances well on an R9/DMR. The lens is well made and the

focusing action and throw are very comfortable for me.

I bought it because it was cheap and I don't use a long lens that much. You get what you

pay for.

Actually, I found the first version (short and tubby - and heavy) to be slightly sharper and

contrastier than the second version. Not a lot - but noticeable on a flat gray day. Fewer

elements and fewer air/glass surfaces. But it did have a bit more color fringing.

And it has a rather long minimum focus distance and a very long focus throw. The 2nd

version focuses faster and closer with internal focusing. Better for sports and the like, as

well as lighter.

If you can live with the physical limitations, it produces rather a nice image for the price.

The differences between the two 250s is tiny compared to the exotic leap in contrast,

resolution - and price - one gets in the 280 APO f/4.