Quote I heard who uses both Canon and Nikon "I use Canon for weddings, but I would never use Canon in a studio, only Nikon"

dennisgg

<p>I was at the Ritz Camera in Tyngsboro, MA and overheard the salesperson (who she says shoots Nikon full frame) that she knows someone that shoots both Canon and Nikon and they said they "use Canon for weddings, but would never use a Canon in the studio, only the Nikon". I find this very odd, why is the Canon good enough for weddings, but not for a studio and vice versa? I hear that Nikon does a better job supposedly with their flash system, but in a studio I would think they wouldn't be using speedlights, but studio lighting.<br>

What are your thoughts?</p>

<p>LOL! The statement as quoted may be nothing more than personal choice, which is fine. If, on the other hand, it is meant as an assertion that Canon DSRL are not adequate for studio use then...it's the most idiotic thing I've heard in a while.... and I am sure it will not be the last either :)</p>

<p>Last time I was at a Ritz, I was told that a P&S (a Samsung or Sony - can't remember) had better noise characteristics than the Canon 5D, since it was 3 or 4 years newer. Not surprisingly, they had that P&S in stock, but the sales guy had never used a 5D. </p>

<p>The comment sounds like more such idiocy. It's not surprising, just surprising that people listen to it.</p>

<p>I hear weird stuff from "oh so informed people" every single day. I try to forget it instantly.</p>

<p><em>"I only drive my Audi to northern California vacation spots while the BMW is used for south & Orange County and San Diego.</em>" Exact same analogy as this "well informed expert" Ritz salesdroid used.</p>

<p>Most people in Camera stores (especially the major chains) have very limited experience. Among the best ones I have heard are:</p>

<p>"The Leica viewfinder is not very good compared to a DSLR" (this was from a salesperson who seemed to think I should trade my obsolete M6 for new Rebel - they even told me something about it not costing me much to change! I had only gone in to buy some film)<br>

"You cannot buy film anymore - Kodak no longer makes it"<br>

And perhaps the classic "Canon never made EOS film cameras - just an older type with a different lens mount"</p>

<p>By the way while the GTV was less than reliable the engine (in the V6 anyway) was a work of art - they don't make car engines that look and sound like that anymore</p>

<p>No, I am not worried about it. I thought it was an insane comment. I think the whole Nikon Canon fight is interesting, I tell people that you can produce beautiful results with any of the DSLR's that are out there with proper method, composition, and light. I just don't like false statements from salespeople and what is Nikon snobbery by some people. I remember going to a small camera shop in Arlington, MA (mostly used) and was looking at the used lenses and he asked what I used and I said Canon and he said sorry to hear that (he was a Nikon and Leica dude). I proceeded to leave.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think the whole Nikon Canon fight is interesting,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And you feel it is necessary to perpetuate the meaningless "fight" on this forum? You are better off spending your time perfecting your photographic skills.</p>

<p>My two cents: the only thing that really matters when a person chooses is 'interface'. Both systems (as well as others bearing other names besides Canon or Nikon) are equally capable of producing outstanding results in the possession of a user who knows how to extract the maximum potential from each (and neither is universally harder than the other). I have used both Canon and Nikon systems over the years. They *feel* different to use - so each person should find the one that fits best. It's possible that the OP is one of those people, due to previous background or other factor(s), who prefers one 'interface feel' in a wedding environment, and the other in a studio environment, since they are very different activities with different rhythms and requirements. It's easy to read the old "Nikon vs Canon" trope into the statement that the salesperson was quoting, but if it was quoted accurately, that does not imply that one system is *universally* preferred over the other for a given application.</p>

<p>The "Nikon fight" is the figment of forumtographers' imaginations. I have friends who shoot Canon and friends who shoot Nikon and friends who shoot other stuff. We love one another's photography. If you talk to a lot of photographers about how they ended up using Canon or Nikon, quite a few will tell you a story that ultimately comes down to some more or less random "decision." In my case, when I moved from film to digital, my brother happened to own Canon, so that's what I started with. If he had used Nikon, I'm sure I would have ended up shooting Nikon.</p>

<p>Of all the things in the world that might be worth a fight... "Canon vs. Nikon" isn't close to being on the list.</p>