Quite a deal on the D7100

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by djschaefer, Feb 16, 2014.

1. $500 off on D7100 with 18-140 VR lens - you almost get the lens for free:
    B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Items/ci/23919/N/3965280702
    adorama: http://www.adorama.com/INKD7100K1.html

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Well, @ $600, the 18-140mm AF-S VR is priced very high to begin with, compared to other similar kit lenses. And the D7100 itself should be $100 off since it is almost a year old by now.
    This deal $1296.95 for the kit is a good one, but I don't really consider it to be $500 off because that is based on inflated prices on both parts. If Nikon is willing to give a $300 rebate on the D7100 body alone, that would be a much better deal.
    Since both D3200 and D5200 have been updated to new models with EXPEED 4, with the D5300 replacing the D5200 after barely one year, I expect the D7100 will also be updated to EXPEED 4 in the coming months.

3. Well, the D7100 currently has a $50 instant rebate and the 18-140 is not part of the current lens-only rebate. Someone who wants that combo can save a bundle. The price of the 18-140 appears indeed inflated - but so is the price for the 16-85 and actually quite a few other Nikon lenses.
    I expect the D7100 will also be updated to EXPEED 4 in the coming months​
    Hope that with the EXPEED 4 they also include more memory ;-) Probably too much to expect that they return to the D300 body style though ;-(

4. That kit is going for C$1269 in Toronto--an even better deal at current exchange rates.
    Just curious how Nikon will squeeze the EXPEED 4 chip into the current D7100 without effectively creating a new model?

5. Even at $1,150, the D7100 is an excellent, well built, full featured, cropped frame DSLR. I'm sure the price will go lower in the future but that doesn't detract from it being a great image maker. I have 2 of them and the only downside is that it doesn't have 8 FPS, a larger buffer, and a commitment from Nikon to produce professional caliber DX lenses. Thankfully, Sigma does.

6. That kit is going for C$1269 in Toronto--an even better deal at current exchange rates.
    Just curious how Nikon will squeeze the EXPEED 4 chip into the current D7100 without effectively creating a new model?​
    You can afford to forget about it, it's not as if it's the strangest thing he's said. Nikon were the ones who crippled the D7100 and a lot of people wrote it off as a dead loss unless you are a fanatic of DX + 1.3x crop.

7. Thanks for the link, I am considering the D7100. Just want to wait until after the Olympics to see if Nikon comes out with anything new and by that I mean the mythical D400.

8. The pre-D7200 release price drop?
    +1 Michael D
    the only downside is that it doesn't have 8 FPS, a larger buffer, and a commitment from Nikon to produce professional caliber DX lenses. Thankfully, Sigma does.​

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Mike, don't give Mark a hard time. A minute ago he was concerned that Nikon might introduce this so called D400 after the Winter Olympics, and you are now getting him worried about this potential D7200.
    He is also concerned that Canon may have a 7D Mark II very soon: http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00cN3a

10. Shun, I think they're the same camera aren't they...:) Obviously not numerically speaking, but features wise! The D7100 on steroids = the D400??
    I could never afford to change to Canon......but I wonder what the 7D MKII will have that Nikon will 'need' to match?
    They've both held off for quite some time on the D300/7D upgrade....so far.

11. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Mike, you need to read my posts on that Canon thread as well as the Canon thread when the 70D was introduced last year.
    Both Canon and Nikon have given up on the high-end APS-C DSLR market a few years ago. Instead, they now emphasis low-end full-frame DSLRs in order to differentiate themselves from Micro 4/3 and APS-C mirrorless cameras. The larger sensor still has its advantages.

12. eBay had a great deal on the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD (Nikon and Canon mounts) for 429.99, sadly the Nikon mounts ran out of stock (as of right now).