Quite a deal on the D7100

Dieter Schaefer

<p>Well, @ $600, the 18-140mm AF-S VR is priced very high to begin with, compared to other similar kit lenses. And the D7100 itself should be $100 off since it is almost a year old by now.</p>

<p>This deal $1296.95 for the kit is a good one, but I don't really consider it to be $500 off because that is based on inflated prices on both parts. If Nikon is willing to give a $300 rebate on the D7100 body alone, that would be a much better deal.</p>

<p>Since both D3200 and D5200 have been updated to new models with EXPEED 4, with the D5300 replacing the D5200 after barely one year, I expect the D7100 will also be updated to EXPEED 4 in the coming months.</p>

<p>Well, the D7100 currently has a $50 instant rebate and the 18-140 is not part of the current lens-only rebate. Someone who wants that combo can save a bundle. The price of the 18-140 appears indeed inflated - but so is the price for the 16-85 and actually quite a few other Nikon lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I expect the D7100 will also be updated to EXPEED 4 in the coming months</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hope that with the EXPEED 4 they also include more memory ;-) Probably too much to expect that they return to the D300 body style though ;-(</p>

<p>Even at $1,150, the D7100 is an excellent, well built, full featured, cropped frame DSLR. I'm sure the price will go lower in the future but that doesn't detract from it being a great image maker. I have 2 of them and the only downside is that it doesn't have 8 FPS, a larger buffer, and a commitment from Nikon to produce professional caliber DX lenses. Thankfully, Sigma does. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>That kit is going for C$1269 in Toronto--an even better deal at current exchange rates.<br>

Just curious how Nikon will squeeze the EXPEED 4 chip into the current D7100 without effectively creating a new model?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can afford to forget about it, it's not as if it's the strangest thing he's said. Nikon were the ones who crippled the D7100 and a lot of people wrote it off as a dead loss unless you are a fanatic of DX + 1.3x crop.</p>

<p>Shun, I <em>think</em> they're the same camera aren't they...:-) Obviously not numerically speaking, but features wise! The D7100 on steroids = the D400??</p>

<p>I could never afford to change to Canon......but I wonder what the 7D MKII will have that Nikon will 'need' to match?</p>

<p>They've both held off for quite some time on the D300/7D upgrade....so far.</p>

<p>Mike, you need to read my posts on that Canon thread as well as the Canon thread when the 70D was introduced last year.</p>

<p>Both Canon and Nikon have given up on the high-end APS-C DSLR market a few years ago. Instead, they now emphasis low-end full-frame DSLRs in order to differentiate themselves from Micro 4/3 and APS-C mirrorless cameras. The larger sensor still has its advantages.</p>