Quicker way to preset D40 white balance

richard_driscoll

<p>People with a D40 or D40x will know that there are two ways to set the preset white balance. Firstly, if white balance is assigned to the Fn button then all you need to do is hold the button in for a few seconds after selecting "PRE". Secondly, you can use shooting-menu->white balance->pre->measure->yes but that is rather slow, expecially if the menu system has just been used for something completely different.</p>

<p>I've just been looking at a D3000 manual and see there is an alternative. Select the Shooting Information Display, press the "I" button and choose white balance "PRE" in the normal way. Release the OK button and then hold down the OK button for about 3 seconds. You'll see "PrE" flash in the viewfinder and in the Information Display and you can take the setting exposure as usual.</p>

<p>What is unexpected is that this method works on my D40, even though it's not mentioned in the manual! My firmware is version 1.11. It likely works on a D40x too, and probably a D60 if it's not already described in the manual.</p>

<p>Now I can use the Fn button for ISO and still have a relatively easy way to set preset white balance!</p>