jean_hee_lee

I am going to New York City this weekend for a couple of days and was

wondering if people could suggest particularly interesting places to

walk around. I will have my 15-year-old sister, who's just starting

to get into photography. Also, the only times I have been there

before were for my music, and I haven't really seen much of anything

there except Carnegie Hall. What are your favourite spots? Thanks

for the help!

Check out Columbia University (116th and Broadway). Great campus for photography. Lots of people, good architecture, many sculptures. While there, you can easily walk to Grant's Tomb and Riverside Church. Or you can walk down to Riverside Park and check out the boat basin a bit further downtown, where you'll always find interesting subjects. Otherwise, Brooklyn Bridge, Grand Army Plaza in Park Slope.

In addition to the earlier responses, here are some suggestions:

(1) Liberty Island, Ellis Island, & Staten Island Ferry (both offer great views of lower Manhattan)

(2) Bryant Park (in back of the main Library, between 42nd and 40th on 6th Avenue)

(3) Empire State Building (of course!)

(4) Rockefeller Center

(5) St. Patrick's Cathedral

(6) The UN tour is interesting, but I'm not sure if they are offered on the weekend

(7) Intrepid Air & Space Museum (they now even have a real Concorde to walk through)

Have fun!

A nice walking tour is to check out the world trade center site, then walk across the pedestrian bridge into the world financial center buildings right on the hudson, the architecture is fairly spectacular, dont miss the atrium area where there are some architectural models of the proposed wtc rebuild there, then out the back doors onto the hudson river walkway and walk south past the yacht club berths all the way to battery park along the river, this is a great walk near sunset with the sun setting across the river behind the statue of liberty.

• 3 weeks later...