Quick poll for 20D users..

oofoto

NO I will wait for a FF with a sample rate that matches or exceeds the 20D (>=16Mp) and ~?1000 price.

That may take a while but my origional equipment roadmap at the end of 04 have an estimate of 5 years for these conditions.

If anything Canon seem to be running much earlier than expected with the affordable FF proposition.

In the meantime I will fill out my lenses and other equipment.

My first feeling was that I would like to go FF with the 5D.

<p>

BUT then I started thinking. I am very happy with my 10-22mm EF-S for wide angle and my 17-85mm is performing well (despite various adverse comments about this lens on various forums)[better than my 28-135 which was fine on film but seemed prone to flare on my DSLR's]. So my wide angle and medium zooms work well on the 20D.

<p>

My telephoto zooms always are a bit shorter than I would like so the crop factor works to my advantage there. My primes are stunning on the 20D.

<p>

If I buy a 5D I also immediately start the (fairly rapid) depreciation of a 3000 USD asset.

<p>

I also like having two bodies to act as mutual backup and I cannot afford 2 x 5D's!

<p>

Conclusion: the appeal of the 5D is really a macho / "want to play in the big league" feeling rather than based on any logic. I am very happy with my 20D so why change.

<p>

The only thing I would love is a quality prime lens of say 15mm (24mm equiv) [don't suggest the 14mm L it's too big / expensive / variable performance reports]in an EF-S mount since my widest prime (20mm) is an effective 32mm.

The 5D does not replace a 20D, it's too slow for sport so is not an upgrade in this respect. 8 or so Mp is ideal for the magority of the work I do so I won't be upgrading, but I might buy another 20D as it's price starts to come down and as people start to dump them.

JJ

When an FF body is available for $1500, I'll upgrade then. But for now, my 20D does the job for me. My most used focal lengths in FF are in the range 28-50mm, so my 17-40 lens gives me that on the 20D. My 50 f1.8, which I use a lot with film, has now turned into a great portrait lens.

When I need wider angles, then I just break out my Elan7e and some Velvia/Provia. If I'm going anywhere outside the city I live in, the Elan is always with me as a backup body. It's never been needed for backup purposes, but it's great to have the option of the wider view if I need it. Inside my city, well, my city's quite small, so I'm never more than a 30min walk from my apartment (or 3 min taxi ride), so I leave it at home, unless it's a big event/festival.

I am doing just fine with 20D. 10-22 ef-s is more than I needed in WA area and 1.6x crop is sweet with my 300mm lens. Perhaps I will never move to FF arena unless there is a very significant improvement in sensor quality, or feature like in-built IS. I am hoping to keep 20D as long as it goes.

Nope. My 20D needs to see several more years of use before I upgrade. Also, as others have said - I'll upgrade when the FPS is faster and the sensor is 16MP or more.

I don't need full frame based on the photography I do and a 1.6 is more likely to keep the cost down. I'd like 16+MP, 8 FPS, a big buffer and a 1.6 crop sensor for $2000.

The overwhelming answers on this thread are NO. Clearly the 5D is not viewed by many as

lying on the same path as the 20D. Perhaps the 1DMkIIN would be a more appropriate

candidate? I probably will be buying a 5D, but I'm coming from a 300D, I'm mainly interested

in landscape and portrait photography, I'm frustrated with trying to focus the 300D, and I

want to deal neither with the cost nor bulk of a 1DsMkII.