Quick!! I need airplane X-ray help!

Just bought an X-ray safety case at a local photo store. The

salesman said to place my film in it and send it through the checked

baggage. When I got home the case says that it�s waranteed only if

sent through the carry on X-ray machine. Which is a lower dosage?

Which is safer?

Help� I fly out in 24 hours..

Do not put it in checked baggage, period.

Counter to the above poster the US TSA inspectors are obligated to hand-check your film on request. I'd return the little box you bought, and exchange it for some clear zip-lock type bags. Take all your film out of the canisters and put it in the zip-lock. Get to your airport quite early, wait until lines are short/slow and politely request a hand-check. Tell them you're using professional high-speed film. See the link for the TSA's own FAQ on the issue--I actually saw this page printed and posted at Denver International in the line for the hand-check/metal detector.

hmmm, when I tried the web page it was down...here's the URL in case it comes back up....

http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?theme=56

I think this must be the single most-asked question on photo.net...

Evan's right on all counts. The salesman sounds like a bozo. Forget the little xray box, return it if you can, and use ziplocs. Keep all film in your carry-on bag. Never send film in checked baggage. These days they are using CT-scanners on checked baggage which have enough radation that they will fog film.

TSA signs at US airports specifically say that you have to right to hand-inspection of film/cameras, and I've found employees to be very reasonable. In recent travels whenever I've asked politely and said something like "super high-speed" or "professional" film, they've hand inspected without saying anything. Before I figured out those keywords I just asked politely and they would say "the machines won't hurt your film" and wouldn't hand inspect until I said "there's super high-speed film in there."

This is more variable overseas. I'd ask politely for hand inspection but wouldn't argue or freak out if they refuse.

Also, to save myself some time, I only ask them to hand-inspect my high speed film (800+). Up to 400asa I just let go through the carry-on machine. No damage that I've noticed so far after up to four passes.

I flew to the UK a few weeks ago out of Miami. I had my film out of the containers, in clear zip lock bags and asked for a hand check. I walked through the metal detector and as I waited on the other side I soon saw my carry on coming out of the x-ray machine followed by the plasic container with my car keys, coins and clear plastic bag of films. No harm done. 400 ASA film. I have just about given up on hand inspections. "Sure we'll hand inspect it, right before we put it through the x-ray machine."
James G. Dainis

These lead bags don't help. If they can't 'see' (x-ray) through the bag, they just increase X-ray power until they can I guess and your film will get its dose. As said above, carry on scanners are supposed to be safe, check-in luggage scanners are not. So I suppor the zip-lock bag solution. Or carry a few rolls in the pockets of your trousers.

I had an experience similar to James... While flying out of Mumbai I came upon a scary looking X-ray machine; it looked like something out of a 1950's sci-fi movie. I asked the operator if it was film safe and he said "no". So I removed the film from my daypack (all prepacked in clear plastic bags for easy inspection) and asked him to hand inspect it. He grabbed it and ran it through the machine without a word, before I could react. The film (only ISO 100) was very slightly fogged but still usable.<P>This occured during one of the occasional buildups toward nuclear war with Pakistan - security people are usually more friendly when they're feeling less paranoid.<P>Also, I've put film through the X-ray machines many other times and never had my film fogged except that on that single occasion.<p>Karl Lehmann <a href="http://www.lostworldarts.com/new_page_3.htm">Lost World

Arts</a>

<em>"If they can't 'see' (x-ray) through the bag, they just increase X-ray power until they can"</em>

<p>

I've seen this repeated for years, but I've never seen any hard evidence of this, or even of whether the minimum wage machine operator with 25 minutes of training actually has access to a knob he can turn to boost X-ray intensity.

<p>

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Maybe there really are 18ft alligators in the NYC sewers. Who knows? I mean who actually does know (about the X-rays)?

Don't check film. I don't think they can really turn the power up to get through the lead box; it's more likely that they'll see an unidentifiable object and have to hand-check your check-through luggage. Hate to get there without your bags 'cause it takes too long, eh?

Everyone who says clear plastic ziplocks in your carry-on and hand-check has the idea, methinks.

What happens if I DO have it in a lead bag they can't see into? Are they going to paint my tonails purple and throw me into the bushes? I think NOT! They'll just open the lead bag, if they are interested at all, and maybe THEN run it thru the machine! Good idea is to stick with lower ISO film unless the 1600ISO stuff is just absolutely necessary.