quick advice on how to use minolta 220x flash

john_mcmenamin

I'm afraid this may not be a good reply, either. I have an X-700 and the 220X flash (no manual, either), but I purchased a different flash after using the 220X just one time. My problem was that it was too basic and didn't have settings to cover a broad range of situations. Because there are so few settings, all you need to do is play around with the flash on your camera by taking some pictures and writing down what you did, so you can match what you did with the results. I've discovered that no matter how many books I read or how much advice I get, I learn the most from just trying things out for myself. So, GOOD LUCK!

Do you have any specific questions about flash use that we may be able to address?

I don't actually have 220x, but here are some basics. Any Minolta x-flash unit should automatically set your X-700 (or any X, XD and XG camera) to flash sync speed (1/60s in case of your X-700) and manual exposure mode.<p>

As far as I know, the 220x is an autoflash, but not capable of TTL flash metering. In a nutshell, a TTL flash uses the light meter of the camera, an auto flash uses it's own built-in light sensor, but both are capable of achieving the correct exposure automatically. Of all Minolta manual focus cameras, only the X-700/600/570/500 support TTL flash, so it is kinda nice to use an appropriate TTL flash with these cameras, but in praxis an auto flash is almost always just as good.<p>

To use an auto flash, you proceed as follows:<p><ol>

<li>Set your camera to any shutter speed up to the flash sync speed. (no need to worry about this, because the 220x and the X-700 do this automatically). </li>

<li>Set the film speed (eg ISO 400) on the flash</li>

<li>The flash will usually give you a choice of several apertures (eg 22, 11 and 5.6 at ISO 400). Choose one and set it on the lens. Your choice will depend on how much depth of field you need (at 22 you will have a wider range in focus than at 5.6) and how far your object is away (eg. at ISO 400 the effective flash range at 22 might be 1 to 3m, at 5.6 it could be 2 to 11m). </li>

<li>Fire away! The flash will determine the correct exposure automatically. (Note: because the automatic is in the flash, this even works with old manual SLRs (eg the Minolta SRT, Pentax K1000, Canon FTb, etc), that do not have an automatic exposure mode at all.) </i></li></p></ol>

The 220x is probably also capable of manual flash. With manual flashes the flash strength can not be altered automatically. The correct exposure is achieved by setting the lens� aperture to the correct value, depending on film speed and distance of the object to the camera. You need to calculate what this aperture is, and a table on the back of the flash unit usually helps you to do this.</p>

Using manual flash is not that hard, but less convenient than using TTL flash or auto flash. If you have a flash unit that is capable of TTL flash or auto flash, there are very few reasons why you would ever want to use manual flash. One reason can be that you want to fine tune your flash power eg for fill flash. Many flash units allow you to vary the flash power from full to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 in manual mode. There is often no straightforward way to achieve this in the automatic modes.

Hope this helps.

for kicks, you can find, on minolta's site, the manual for a fairly similar model, the 280px. here's the link to the first of four parts: <a href="http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/main/MinoltaUSA/MUSAContent/CPG/CPG_Manual/CPG_Manual_Attachments/auto_electroflash_280PX_part1.pdf">280px manual</a>. for the other three, if you're interested, increment the "part1" to "part2" etc. in the url.

• 4 years later...