convince the client that I am the photographer they want by trying to

show my personality and edge, while all along keeping an air of

sincerity and interest in THEIR wedding. I have had 3 meetings in the

last 2 months and have booked 2 weddings....pretty good average, but

will it hold?? There in lies my question..what is the right way to

approach the initial sales meeting?? Those out there with

experience, what are some secrets?? I know you may say that my ship

isn't sinking, so keep its course, but I just want to hear what

everyone else thinks about this subject.

Thanks in advance!! Sean

You need to convey that you are excited about being a wedding photographer. You must

wrap them in your enthusiasm for your artistic interest. Business details, in my opinion,

should be mostly conveyed to them on paper. Don't spend alot of time on business

details. This is boring stuff.

They will choose you for your personality, and your ability to show you care about all

people. If you should make a comment about any Bride in your portfolio that is just alittle

'jagged', they will not choose you. You must operate on a high level of perfection without

giving an impression of an act of snobbery. You must show that you care about details.

Demonstrate that you actually understand the "look" of a Bride. Talk about how you make

these choices.

Couples that don't care about such details will still choose you. Couples that care about

details will not hire a 'loose' photographer.

I don't SELL anyone. I don't ask for their check. With confidence, I leave them to compare.

I ask for the functional details of their wedding, rules, timing, possibility of meeting in a

park, etc. Then I give answers and examples of what their pictures will likely look like

based upon my questions and their answers from my portfolio. I do not, however actually

promise what their pictures will look like in my Agreement.

I am not a super-duper salesman. I tend to let my photos do the selling. But I do know that the best way to engage your prospect so that you can demonstrate your experience, philosophy and style, as well as gauge whether you want the prospect as a client, is to ask her/them what they are looking for in wedding photography or the wedding photographer. Ask them how they envision their wedding day, how they want it captured. Then talk about how you are going to do that for them. While they are talking, really listen, and not be thinking about how to counter. The discussion will take shape naturally and you'll know how to end the session based on what she/they have said. I see no need to conquer every single prospect that comes along. Sometimes I respectfully decline because I don't think my style is what they want, or I know the prospect is more trouble than the job is worth. If you have just one sales pitch and use it time after time without modifying it to fit your prospect, you are not really listening to your client, and it will become apparent to them.

• 1 month later...

I never use the words "my philosophy" when presenting my services. And there is a good

reason for it.

I once had a paper which was part of my brochure. My work was different than all the

photographers in my county in the 1970s. Therefore, I needed to present this different

approach to wedding photography. So, I made a paper called, "My Philosophy".

Many people did not respond or comment on it. But one did, and I will never forget it. I

dropped my sheet called "My Philosophy" immediately. What happened? The bride-to-be

responded to me thusly on the phone: "I don't CARE what your PHILOSOPHY is; THIS is MY

wedding!"

The principal of good marketing is to fulfill the needs and fantasies of the customer. She

felt that I was so much 'into' my style that I was leaving out consideration for her.

I have heard many, many complaints of other photographers who were so wrapped up in

THEIR STYLE that the prospective client ditched the photographer for someone else: me. I

learned that it was OK to have a style, but that you must ask careful questions of the

prospect; then prove in your samples that you can do what is needed.

There are no secrets to presenting yourself that are not published in books somewhere. I

suggest to anyone to become a member of Toastmasters in their area so that you will

speak well. If you have been to the same reception or church place before, you are

already miles ahead of other photographers. The more you talk in detail about being at

this certain place, with its particular lighting, certain places to photograph, etc. the better.

You should have a logical pictorial presentation. Any confusion on your part tells the

prospect that you are disorganized and may create a time delay at her wedding. She and

he will be judging your every move. I like to sit more closely to them.

One bride told me (she hired me later) that she didn't really analyse my brochure or

pictures. What she did was to listen to how I spoke about each Bride in the pictures.

It is not just "one thing" to look out for. Rather, it is about 25 things. Toastmasters is the

group to join.