I have spent time searching the forums and reading, and have not found a

posting which addresses my specific question. Thank you for your thoughts and

consideration in advance.

Since it's worthless to solicit advice without giving some background

information, here are the basics: I'm a serious amateur with about 40 years

experience. I shoot mainly event photography (stages with high-tech lighting,

etc.), portraits (I have lights and backdrops), family snapshots, and about six

weddings a year. My equipment consists of a 5D, 1D MKII N, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm

f/1.8, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon 1.6x TC, and the usual accessories.

The bulk of what I do is the performance side of things. I think I've shot

three outdoor sporting events in the past five years. On the rare occasion my

wife and I get to travel, I like to take some landscapes. If I shoot outdoors,

it's fair weather only, so I don't need full weather sealing, etc. I haven't

gotten near the end-of-life for a shutter since my T-90... and that was from

non-use.

A little over a year ago, I sold my 20D and got the 1D MKII N. My desire was

for the better high speed focusing and, with the 1.3 sensor, better image

quality in terms of noise at high ISO and the other advantages associated with

larger sites and micro lenses (compared to the 20D).

However, in the past year, I have become somewhat dissatisfied with the banding

(especially in the shadows and darker areas) with the 1D in low light, high ISO

situations. The degree of banding appears to be about the same as with my 20D

several years ago (I shoot raw and process with Capture 1). With 8MP and a 1.3

crop, I also can't put as many pixels on the target with the 70-200 as I could

with the 20D (obviously) without using the TC - which drops the f-stop.

Here's the question with the sanity component... I would like your thoughts on

the pros and cons of selling a very low mileage, mint condition 1D MKII N and

buying a 40D for my purposes. From what I read, the 40D viewfinder is much

improved over the 20D and 30D. The burst rate appears to be more than adequate

for my needs. The 40D would put 10MP on target with a 1.6 crop for the long

shots at the full f/2.8 of the lenses (versus 8MP at a 1.3 crop or using the

TC). The 40D would also reduce the weight of my 35lb kit (when I have to carry

everything) and I believe it uses the same battery as my 5D. My wife would

probably even let me put the difference between the 1D and the 40D toward a

lens or something, too?

Are these reasonable thought processes or do I need to see a shrink?

Thanks,

Rob

I actually think you have thought this through pretty well and have come to a sensible

conclusion. The 5D and 40D pair give you the best of both worlds regarding full frame and

1.6 crop for wide and telephoto shooting.

You say you don't need the 1 series weatherproofing or burst / frame rates, so I would go

for it - I'm not sure what you could get for the 1D MkII N second hand, but I'm sure it will

more than cover the price of a new 40D with some useful money left over...

If you looking for someone to confirm your thoughts and say "go for it" - I'm your man!

Rather then a shrink you might want to find a good camera store that rents equipment and put the 40D to the test.

Dark areas plus High ISO puts great expectations on any sensor as far as I know. You did not mention if the 5D gives you the same problem. I would think that the larger full frame sensor would handle this banding problem better then the apc size sensor.

Hey Rob, I would try the 40D for sure! I am a proud owner and I have some sample pics, if you would like to see some at any ISO just message me/email. But the camera is a BIG step from the 20/30d cameras. I have noticed in many areas. I would highly suggest getting this camera, and 6.5 fps helps!(: With the extra cash, I would also recommend the 17-40 if you are looking for the extra angle, and putting this lens on your 5D would be really nice!

It's three years since I bought my first DSLR (20D) and found that it instantly made my 1V into a paperweight, and I sold the 1V within twelve months. I now work with a 5D and 40D, exactly the combination you are considering. The 40D is used mostly for long-lens work, the 5D for most other things, and it is likely to be replaced with a "5DII" when that comes along. I am sure you will find a FF/1.6 dual format setup very good to work with (you know that, having had a 20D, presumably alongside your 5D), and I find the 40D to be a really major improvement over the 20D.

What you will lose is the pro handling of the 1-series. Although I don't have any regrets at all about moving away from film, I do regret losing the way the 1V handled. BUT, and it's a big but, I only rarely used the PB-E2 on the 1V, and mostly preferred to be without it, and, price considerations apart, I was just not prepared to carry a camera body the size and weight of the 1D-series without the option.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful and considered responses. Many of you suggested trying out a 40D - that's what I'm going to try to do over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Pending my findings on test images, Robin does a very good job of sumarizing my main "heartache" with the possible switch. Last evening, I had the opportunity to photograph a father-son pair of US Marines (the father was medically retired after being a POW in Viet Nam; the son just returned from Iraq). I used the 1D and 24-70 f/2.8L... what a terrific handling/feeling combo! The feel is similar to that I experienced with the T-90 or my medium format with grip. With studio lights, the images are outstanding, too. Of course, if I were to switch, the 5D would still be there to do these things (although I might want a vertical grip for it). Now... where's that 40D to test?...

Again - thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Rob

Pete, 40D 'weather sealing' is a joke - it just amounts to a few bits of foam padding round the card and battery compartment doors. Yes, they are probably better than nothing, especially as protection against dust, but we're not even talking about the kind of weather sealing that the -1N and -3 had before the -1V and the -1D series set the current standard. The 40D has many real merits, but this one is just marketing hype.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - I went ahead and sold the 1D MkII N and purchased the 40D with grip. I've been using it for three or four weeks now in the low-light performance environment discussed above. There was a bit of a shallow learning curve in getting used to settings, exposure and sharpening. However, I am glad I made the move.

The exposure levels on the 40D appear to have been lowered about 1/3 f-stop (to avoid blowing out the highlights, I assume), so I no longer need to compensate the exposure. I still spot meter on a highlight and lock the exposure before shooting. The noise levels appear to be lower than with the 1D and the color and white balance are excellent. The camera (with the 1.6 sensor) definitely puts more pixels on target with my long zoom than did the 1D, so I have more leeway with cropping if needed. With the grip and two batteries, the body handles very nicely when coupled with the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS. The viewfinder is also a noticeable improvement over the 20D (I added a grid focus screen to help out with horizon, etc.).

I guess that?s about it. Thanks to everyone for their input.