Question Regarding Nikon Manual Telephoto Lenses

jack_nordine

<p>I’m in the market for either a Nikon 400mm 3.5 or a Nikon 500mm f4 P lens (and eventually a 1.4 converter). I would be using the lens on a Canon 6D and T3i. I understand I would lose AF, and I plan to use the lens mostly in manual mode. Before purchasing, I’m curious if anyone is aware of any potential issues when using either of these lenses on a Canon body, or if for some reason, one lens would be preferable to the other on a Canon? If there were drawbacks to using these on a Canon, I would entertain the possibility of picking up an older used Nikon body for using one of these telephotos. Thanks for your feedback.</p>

<p>I've owned both and have been much happier with the 500mm F/4 P. It's sharper with and without Nikon 1.4X & 2X teleconverters on older digital SLR bodies and has less chromatic aberration. In my experience, both lenses were excellent on film bodies. I have not tried the 400/3.5 on the newer SLR bodies that correct for CA, so I cannot speak to that issue.<br>

I've used many Nikon lenses with cheap ($20) and expensive ($200) adapters on Canon bodies without ever having a problem, so I don't think that will be an issue.</p>

<p>JDM... I think you know the answer to that as we had a conversation over there. Your response was the most helpful, but I've yet to hear from anyone who has used these particular lenses on a Canon body. Later, it occurred to me that it would have been preferable to pose this question on the Nikon forum where many more readers have used this lens. Earlier today I sent an email to the General manager asking if he could delete the thread in the Canon forum. It was my error for initially posting it there. But, thanks again for your answer.</p>

<p>Conrad, thanks for the response. Right now I'm leaning toward the 500mm because of the extra reach, so this is good to hear. Also glad to hear you don't anticipate any issue using a Nikon to eos adapter. Since the P lens was designed as manual focus only, I wasn't certain if this would create any problems.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I’m in the market for either a Nikon 400mm 3.5 or a Nikon 500mm f4 P lens (and eventually a 1.4 converter). I would be using the lens on a Canon 6D and T3i. <strong>I understand I would lose AF, and I plan to use the lens mostly in manual mode</strong>.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You do realise that both these lenses are already manual focus lenses? You can't lose AF as it does not exist in these two models.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dave, thanks for the feedback about the CA. You can always clean that up. Matthew, thanks for the correction. You're right, you can't lose what you never had! Albin, I appreciate that info on focusing. I would be using one of these lenses for static subjects, so with patience, it should work out. I know there will be times I'll want something longer than 400mm, but with either of these lenses, I would occasionally use an extender, so I'm still considering the 400mm. The fact that these are fast lenses should really help out when trying to focus with an extender. I'm guessing it would be best to use a Nikon extender and then attach the adapter rather than use a Canon or Kenko extender after placing the adapter on the lens, would this be correct?</p>

<p>Jack, I have read your other thread on the Canon EOS Forum a couple of days ago. It is just me, but I would much rather use a lens that is native to the mount. Since you are using a Canon 6D and T3i, why not consider the older Canon EF 500mm/f4.5 or the new Tamron 150-600mm in the EF mount? The 500mm/f4.5 is likely be (a lot?) more expensive than the old manual-focus Nikons, but the Tamron is quite affordable. You'll get AF in both of those alternatives; that is a major plus for a long tele.</p>

<p>Shun... The 500mm 4.5 is one I've considered. The problem is that good ones are going for $3300 to $4000. If I'm going to spend that much, I'll just save up a few grand more and get a used Canon 500mm f4. Other than the high price, I've heard stories about parts not being available if the lens has an issue. I was really interested in the Tamron until I saw the reviews and the photo samples. Yes, there's a handful of excellent shots, but mostly I wasn't impressed. The review by Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals showed the very average performance at 500mm and the worse performance at 600mm. Plus, it's a slow lens and I don't want a zoom.</p>

Good information here. Thanks to all who have responded. I think I can eliminate the 70-300vr. So it's going to be

between the 70-200 f4 and the 180 prime. I'd like to rent the latter and give it a try before buying, but I don't see it listed

on Lens Rentals website. Not exactly inexpensive at B&H - $899 for USA version.