Question regarding adapter to fit Nikkor 21mm f/4 lens on LEICA body

alan c.

have a very specific and odd WANT TO BUY:

i just acquired a nice 21mm f/4 Nikkor lens, the one that requires mirror lock-up on

the Nikon F and F2 bodies.

I want to put an adapter on this lens to use it on my Leica M cameras. the adapter can

be to Screw Mount, and adapted again to M as needed.

Voigtlander makes an adapter for their 12mm and 15mm lenses to fit on Leica, but

speaking to Stephen Gandy on the phone, he doesn't think those adapters will work

for the old 21mm f/4 lens.

The 21mm lens does not have a standard Nikon mount. It has a little hook inside that

attaches to a ridge inside the Nikon F and F2 bodies. Look inside the body -- you'll

see the ridge at the 11 o'clock position. and if you see the lens you'll see where it

needs to lock in.

I know Novoflex also made a Nikon lens to Leica body adapter. Does anyone know if

this adapter will work?

Anyone ever use this combination?

This post is also a WTB is anyone has an adapter that will work!

my example is #225169. but what is the difference between newer and older

examples?

so the novoflex adapter does have the little ridge? after some research i see that

novoflex is still in business and makes this adapter new. "LEM/NIK" product code. Will

a new one be different from an older one? does anyone have one they want to sell?

of course using the lens on a F, F2, or even the Nikkormat FT3 (which does have the

ridge, and the lens does fit!) is easier. but not practical when you want to carry in the

field only 2 Leica M bodies and an assortment of lenses.

i could get a voigtlander 21mm f4 or an avenon/kobalux/adorama 21mm f/2.8 and

have looked seriously at the Canon 19mm f/3.5. but in any case the Leica and

upcoming Zeiss lenses are too expensive for a limited-use lens. Just spent $1600 on

the 28mm f/2.0 summicron which is a lens that stays on the camera. can't justify

more big money on a super-angulon or elmarit.

Thanks!

Dear Alan,

The only 21/4 Nikkor I ever owned (stolen many years ago) was gorgeous -- I'd not consider changing yours if it's as good as mine was. My 21/4.5 Biogon was no better.

The Nikkor is not a Biogon copy/derivative, though: it's pretty close to an f/5.6 Super Angulon in the 47-90mm range. The 21 Biogon splits the front glass into two singlets and is asymmetric in the middle too (doublet/triplet) whereas the Nikkor/SA is symmetric singlet-triplet-triplet-singlet. Then again the 21/4 SA went doublet-doublet-triplet-doublet.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

I don't suppose you got that 21mm Nikon viewfinder that fit over the rewind crank?? I'd

love to put that on one of my F bodies. Great lens. Never owned one. I bought that big,

bulky 20mm f3.5 when it came out. Not the same as that 21mm. Good luck with your

project. Oh, are you sure there's enough clearance for that rear lens element to fit into the

"M"?

yes, there's plenty of room inside the M cameras. and i plan on using a plastic leica

21mm finder with brightlines, that i picked up cheap.

i'm surprised that there aren't more people who have used this combination in order

to achieve an ultra wide angle on their Leicas....

Alan--You know "back in the day" when the Nikon F 21mm f4.0 was contemporary I don't

remember anybody ever adapting one to a Leica. I suppose it was because there was a

21mm f4.0 SA available for Leicas "as is". Once the 20mm f3.5 Nikkor came out the 21mm

f4.0 dropped off the face of the planet. I don't remember seeing one after that.

Couple of clarifications:

1. Roger was right about the Nikkor O 21/4 NOT being a Biogon copy.

Only resemblance between the Biogon and the Nikkor O are the symmetrical design (My apologies to Mr Wakimoto). For a comparison of lens constructions and discussion, see: http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/about/history/nikkor/n01_e.htm

2. Alan, The Adapter I have/use is a LEINIK (LTM to Nikon F). Yes the 21/4 will fit in to this just as it would on an F2. I do not own a sample of the 21/4 but i have tried a friend's sample.

FWIW, I did get the Novoflex Leica body/Nikon lens adapter, and the 21mm Nikkor

does fit. Without that extra locking ridge, however, the lens rotates unnecessarily in

the mount. So i put some rolled up gaffer's tape where that locking ridge would be,

and now it works OK!