Question on the Paterson two reel tank

tom_wicker

This may be a stupid question to ask but thats the only way I'll

learn. On the Paterson two reel tank with the cone in place can it be

worked with in the light minus the sealed lids? The reason I ask this

is I'm planning to use this tank in a hot bath and want to control

the temp as much as possible and didn't want to take the tank from

the bath to invert was planning on just twirling it.

The answer to your question is yes, the paterson tank system in it's many sizes is designed to be used in 'daylight', although I would advise the use of subdued lighting as a precaution, rather than sunshine streaming throught the window.

The funnel, when correctly fitted acts as a light trap, and I have processed many films using one of these tanks, without any signs of fogging.

I used a washing up bowl, and had a kettle of boiling water on hand to top up, to keep the temperature right. I also used the twirling method you plan to try, as I believe it causes less air bubbles than the inversion method, just make sure you have enough working solution to cover the fim width you plan to use.

Incidentally, if this is you first go at film processing, I wish you the best of luck, and leave you with a final bit of advice- Sometimes, slide films (especially medium format) may benefit from an extended fixing time, otherwise, it has been my experience that the film may show bands of 'shadow' which is the unremoved silver from the film.