[Question] Leica M3 Cloudy Viewfinder

swann_kim

Hello all,

I've just got an M3 from KEH today. But I found the viewfinder was cloudy. I

called the KEH, and a sales rep told me that cloudy viewfinders are quite common

for those old M3 (mine starts with the serial number 1014*** - so it's quite

later one, as far as I know).

When I look at the viewfinder from the eye-piece side, I can see a layer that

looks like a film or trace when you pull off sticky tape (like the scotch tape).

This layer seems to be just next to the eye piece. When I look at the viewfinder

from the other side, I can still see the layer close to the eye piece.

1) Is this cloudy viewfinder a normal thing as its age considered ? I think it

actually affects my picture taking ability in the end. This body is in EX

(excellent) grade. I think this condition is not really fit for EX.

2) Or, can it be cleaned? Or is this a sign of irreversible deterioration?

Thanks!

Regardless of the serial number, that old of camera might well be clouded, especially if it hasn't been cleaned or serviced. Sure, you should probably do a CLA of it. Actually, when I buy equipment of higher value, I usually plan to spend money on a CLA anyway. That way I have a starting point for its maintenance. I can't really speak to the EX rating. If you're not happy though, I'd send it back. I think the EX refers more to the finish than the mechanics or cleanliness.

y halo thar,

What an astute observation you've made!

When I look through my M, the viewfinder from the angles you've described is nothing like what you've mentioned. :O

For older model M cameras like the one you have, a cloudy viewfinder is anything but normal. It can be cleaned - but it can be expensive. If you want to keep your camera, and happen to decide that it needs servicing, I recommend Don Goldberg (DAG) and Sherry Krauter.

All-in-all, I think you should send your camera back to the store! Who are they to tell you what is and isn't right, especially when you have the camera in front of you? First person observation FTW. :P

Tough call Swann, KEH has one of the best return policies around but sometimes you have to expect a camera that old will need some cleaning. The good news is it can be fixed, the better news is it's worth it. In the end you'll have one of the best cameras ever made. Alan above mentioned two of the best around for fixing it up for you.

In the end, to answer your question, I would keep it and get it fixed up. If you keep the CLA and repair receipts it will add to the value and useability.

Thank you so much for your advice all!

I wonder if the layer I described in my question (one looks like a layer that covers the whole surface of the element very next to the eye piece) is a sign of the so-called balsam separation. I don't know what it is exactly, but, as far as I know, it is almost incurable problem of the M3 viewfinder. I can still see through the viewfinder. The layer's colour is somewhat milky. But, it is not a solid layer, but, a layer with many pores (clear-cloudy-clear-cloudy-and so on, and it's two dimensional). That's why I described it as trace of pulled-off sticky tape.

If it can be cleaned and fixed, I would keep it. I wish someone really know this problem.

Thanks again!

If it looks like it is behind the eyepiece it could be just that. The eyepiece screws out so you could remove it and clean the eyepiece and glass that is between the eyepiece and inner workings. It may solve your problem. No guarantee's but If you like the camera except for that, it's worth a shot. I found that one of my M's was like that and it was about a 10 minute fix.

If it looks like a tannish, square frame around the edges of the viewfinder, I believe that is

the balsam separation...I have it on my M3. In practice, it makes the VF a bit duller, but mine

is still usable. I am not sure how much it costs to repair, but it's probably not cheap because

it involves removing the top plate, doing a CLA on the viewfinder and presumably

recementing the glass.