Question for those who adopted a Z6 to shoot motion pictures:

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by RobertWPillow, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Would you recommend sticking to F mount primes and zooms because the S mount does not facilitate planned/marked manual focus pulls?

Thanks!

2. You can do focus pulls with a focus-by-wire lens, using a strap-on gear adapter. You can't mark the dial, but you can do coarse and fine focusing without issues. Keep the follow focus drive centered on the ring and do an occasional auto-focus te establish the range. If you're working more than 15' from subject, auto-focus is seldom needed.

You'll appreciate the superior image quality of S primes compared to the outdated F mount lenses. Every manufacturer seems to be producing dedicated cine lenses, and Nikon will probably follow suit. (Maybe not, considering how long it took to introduce a FF mirrorless camera.)

A Sony FS5 or FS7 lets you put the lens in AF mode and the camera in manual. You can to a one-shot AF by pressing a button. That is a practical alternative to a mechanical follow focus system with base, rails, et. al. At present, mirrorless AF is selected on the lens or in the camera, but not both. That would be an easy fix in Firmware

3. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

You mean Z-mount lenses. S is a designation for higher-end Z-mount lenses.

I still use mostly F-mount lenses on my Z6 for video mainly because not enough Z-mount lenses are available yet. I have used the 24-70mm/f4 S for video, but the zoom range is a bit limited. Someone reminded me that I can shoot video in the DX crop mode; it is still 4K but the magnification is increased.

4. And S-mount was, IIRC, Nikon's rangefinder mount - just so Shun doesn't sound pedantic. 26 letters in the alphabet (without being interesting), and Nikon have a fixation on reusing them; c.f. E lenses vs E-aperture, AF-S for single-shot autofocus vs autofocus with SWM, etc.

5. Shun and Andrew, I do not accept responsibility for my confusion. So far, every Nikon-manufactured "Z" mount lens has the "S" designation.;)

Ed, thanks for your response.

6. The DOF is razor-thin in FF video, which is usually shot between wide open and -2 stops, and only to a slightly lesser extent in Super-35. Manual focus is a must, because AF can let you down at the wrong moment. Being OOF is second only to exposure problems when shooting video (or maybe the other way around). Video that wobbles between sharp and not quite sharp is a disaster.

I have a couple of cine lenses, but when I need real reach, I turn to standard teles or tele-zooms. The cine versions are mumblingly expensive, $10K to $150K and up.

I didn't catch the S v Z nomenclature. I thought I was a step behind the latest mirrorless NewSpeak (as witnessed by the lengthy dispute over the application of MILC).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. I guess in the same way there's no F' in Nikkor lens names for F-mount either...

Oh wait, yes there was! Nearly all (well lots of) lenses pre-1974 had the F prefix...;)

Re Video.. I reckon OOF is worse than bad exposure unless it's really bad.

8. Z Nikkors do have Z in the name of the lens. S refers to the high-end lens line for the Z mount; Nikon have indicated they will have less expensive lenses that will not be part of the S line.

The Z lenses so far have accelerated manual focus so the manual focus ring position has no relationship to the focus distance. This means you can't really focus by watching how much you turn the ring, the only way to know where the focus is going is by looking at the live view image.