works just like it should! I had a question about the film, can you

use both 120 and 220 film with this camera? Also, there are 2 red

windows, one on the bottom and one on the back, I was unsure which

one to use when I initially load it? The one on the back had a cap,

but the bottom one didnot have one. Will a standard cable release

work with these old Rollei's or do I need a special one fitted for

it? I am very anxious to use it, it has a Tessar 3;8 75mm taking lens

that is remarkably clean and scratch free!!I noticed that the taking

lens had a longer serial# than the viewing lens,(7 instead of 6).

Thanks for the help!

Does the camera's film advance work properly? The standard uses a red window to wind to frame one but its supposed to be automatic after that. Sometimes a repairman might add a red window and disengage a broken film advance as a "fix".

<p><a href="http://rurmonas.cust.nearlyfreespeech.net/manuals/rollei-stand/rollei-stand.html">Rolleiflex Standard Manual</a>

It doesn't matter if you use the red window on the back or bottom. The one on the back is for B1-film (117) that had numbers for 6x6 printed on the backing paper. The one on the bottom is for B2-film (120) that had the numbers for 6x9. All 120-films today have numbers for both 6x6 and 6x9.

You only use the red window when you load the film and wind to frame 1. After that you reset the counter.

You can cover the red window on the bottom with black tape to avoid light leaks.

No, you cant use 220-film.

You can use a standard cable release, but older ones with smaller "heads" fit better.

Congratulations! You got a nice camera there. I have this model too, but I wished I had one in better condition. I also have the 4,5 and a later 3,5 model (mint).

Tito: I missed your informative response in that thread. When using the standard with 117, must you then use it as a red window camera or was it used to pick up the #1 in the usual 117 placement?

<p>I'm looking <a href="http://medfmt.8k.com/bronfilms.html">HERE</a> and there only seems to be a slight difference between 120 and 117. (note I've never seen a 117 film or spool) The flange is smaller in 117. I don't know whether that's because 117 film was shorter, or whether the paper backing was thinner.

<p>I guess this is all moot given the lack of 117 availability, but I'm curious by nature.

Thanks for the answers, the winding mechanism does work flawlessly, and the re-set button works like it should too, all of the writing on the rear graph is in German, not sure what it is says! The viewfinder is bright and clear. It still has the original lens cap,which has some brass showing through. I feel it is a great camera, glad it was everything as described on ebay, the leather case has the stitching coming apart, maybe a leather repair person can fix this. I am hoping to do some outdoor photography, probably use a tripod. Thanks again.

Mike Pender - I have exactly the same camera you have, in comparable condition. Try to find a push-on lens hood, to reduce flare and improve contrast (though the 3.8 Tessar is pretty contrasty). Original hoods may be hard to find; I have a Kodak 28.5 mm Series V adapter ring. The ring pushes on, and a series V hood threads into it. It is possible to insert a series V filter between the hood and the ring. Series V filters are still made, not sure about the rings or hoods, but these things can be found in stores selling used equipment, probably on Ebay too.

Mike Pender... Congratulations! Following your camera body number, you have a 621 and or a 620. But instead of a f3.8 and or a f4.5, the camera has a 622 f3.5 lens introduced in 1934. Since you have the back plate written in German, it was solely for the german market. A possibility would be that a previous owner, sent it to Rollei in order to update it with the newest lens. I have wonderful color "slides" taken with the f3.5 Tessar (622), and the plate on my camera, is written in English.

Mike Kovacs... The 117 film, disappeared a long, long time ago and I could not find any reference in my Rollei books on how to use it. I would guess that you could use the 2 methods i.e. using solely the back window and or after the #1 reached the back window, you would press the little button and use the automatic feed up to #6.

J.Cooper... Something is wrong with the film transport. It should work well.

TITO:

Thanks for the information, are you saying that the camera was originally purchased in Germany due to the German writing on the exposure graph? Also, the taking lens 3:8 looks "newer" than the viewing lens, ie: the lettering looks newer, is this normal with the taking lens? Do you think that the camera originally came with a different taking lens?( the camera serial # is: 262701). I appreciate all of the help. There is a number on the taking lens:Nr 1405408

The viewing lens was made by Rollei (or subcontracted?) but the taking lens was made by Carl Zeiss in Jena. The serial on the lens indicates that its also from before WWII.

f/3.8 Tessars also were not offered on the Rollei except on some of the "standards". Your camera is likely not modified.

Regarding the German exposure info, generally most camera makes made cameras for home and cameras for export. E.g. I have an old 1936 Contax 35mm camera with the american style 1/4" tripod socket rather than the European 3/8", "made in Germany" written on the camera, and the focusing scale in feet instead of meters. Germany was eager to export goods to get CASH for rearmnament during this type period!

Mike Pender, your camera was made in 1932-33. Please share your results with us at the Classic Camera Forum here. :-)

Mike Kovacs wrote: "Germany was eager to export goods to get CASH for rearmnament during this type period!"

Germany has always been a large exporter of cameras and photographic materials, long before and after the Third Reich. I guess a small part of the income went to the rearmament, but also to many of the huge projects in Germany during that period - like the Autobahn, new buildings, infrastructure and the social welfare reforms. AND of course, the photo companies needed their income as well to stay on the market and grow. ;-)

Just came back from my office where I keep my (Old) Standards. The 621 Standard f3.8 has the #247103. Tessar lens #1391761 and the Heidosmat viewer lens #241742. The written plaque is in German, and the tripod socket is 3/8. The botton window for 120 film is plugged, and the other one on its back is open for the 117 film. Go figure!

Good Morning!! You folks are a very helpful bunch!! I'm glad this board is available, it's nice to share info with others who are interested in old Rollei's! I think that my age is catching up with me though,( time for bifocals!)... I was looking at the graph on the back again, and the writing is definitely not English, I thought it was German, but I now believe it is "Italian"! In fact I jotted down some the the text, and ran it in my online dictionary, and it is indeed Italian! So I guess it "may" have came originally from Italy. I bought it off of a guy (ebay)in California, who acquired it from an estate. If only these old cameras could talk :).. Thanks again for the help.

• 4 years later...