both older M's and the M6TTL/M7 models) is does the shutter

speed dial direction/size difference pose a problem working with

two different bodies? I realize this is an individual issue, but I

am very interested in hearing others experiences. I bought a

"classic" a year ago to shoot alongside my M3 because I thought

the dial direction would be a pain to re-learn- now I'm not sure if

it will make a difference. So your input would be appreciated-

thanks.

The M6 TTL flash program will work with shutter speeds slower than 1/50. And you can also use the flash in A or M mode. I use a Leica SF20 flash with my M6 TTL 0.72 on a regular basis. I also have a M3 that gets used less frequently. The shutter speed dial direction problem is not a major issue with me! TTL flash is so easy and such a convenience that I never considered buying the older M6 classic.

To the second part: using an M6 Classic and an M6TTL together gets confusing, since you meter at eyelevel and turn the speed dial without looking at it. Combining an M6TTL with a non-metered M is not so confusing because you almost always look at the speed dial on the non-metered body whenever you change speeds...unless you are the type who "guesstimates" exposure and changes the speed on the fly at eyelevel rather than the aperture. So it's a personal kind of thing. I sold my classics when I got a TTL and my M7's, but I continue to use my M4 and don't find it confusing.

I started out w/an M2 & M3 & have recently acquired a mint used M6 TTL (0.85), so I'll give you my input on your 2nd question. The difference in shutter speed dial direction hasn't bothered me @ all. I think this is mainly because when I use the M6, I change shutter speeds while looking through the VF & watching the little arrows, whereas w/the M2 & M3, I do so w/the camera away from my eye after I've already metered & set the aperture.

BTW, the main reason why I went w/the TTL rather than the "classic" was that the meter in the TTL is a bit more sensitive than the 1 in the classic & I do a lot of night shooting. Also I liked the fact that the TTLs have the "off" position for the meter & have plummeted in price since the M7 came out.

The size of the M6TTL shutter speed dial actually facilitates one finger adjustment without the need to take your eye off the finder. That feature alone makes the M6TTL a better user. I would recommend buying a new M6TTL since grey prices are still rather low and only a few hundred dollars more than a clean used M6 Classic.

<i>"but will the camera fire a flash on auto or manual modes if it is set on slower speeds?"</i>

<br><p>

But the Classic can perform

<a href=http://www.nemeng.com/leica/014b.shtml>this little fill flash trick in portraiture</a> that I learned thanks to Andrew Nemeth's www.nemeng.com site, that the M6TTL cannot. <br><p>

I have both bodies, and I do find it a slight annoyance to have the shutter speeds move in opposite directions. Harder to get used to is the absence/presence of the TTL focusing red dot, which seems to make setting exposure a more spot-on (pun unintended!) experience.

Also, I think the ease of which the dial turns is somewhat linked to the size of the dial, but it also depends on how hard it is originally to turn it, this varies quite considerably between used and new cameras. My classic M6 shutter dial is very easy to turn with 1 finger

I think the answer to using a TTL and classic together is dictated by whether you set the shutter speed with the camera at your eye or whether you set it first at waist level and then "fine tune" the exposure with the aperture ring.

Both are valid techniques, but if you prefer the former then you will find it confusing. If, OTOH, you know that based on the lighting conditions and film speed that you'd like to shoot at 1/250th for example, you set that first while looking down at the camera and fine-tune aperture for exposure. If that's your way of working, then intermixing the cameras is no big deal.