Quantum Turbo Battery compatibility with 503CW

rolleiflex users

Antonio, a very good question and I too will be keen to know. I suppose that like me you are looking for more POWER to enable shooting beyond f5.6 and medium to longer distances? This is the one thing about the D40 that annoys me while I like the light it throws very much. But I cannot see how the Quantum Turbo battery links up with the D40.

I don't have a D40 but I do have a Sunpak 120J, on which the D40 is based (designed for Hasselblad by Sunpak). Both have the same Sunpak type power cable receptacle. I use the CS4 cable to power the 120J with my 503CW. I have a Turbo, a Dynalite Jackrabbit and the Sunpak battery pack. Each of these packs power the flash but don't give the flash more power (bigger guide number). Each of these packs reduces the recycling time down to about 1.5 seconds from 3 seconds for a full manual discharge and recycle. The TTL cable has nothing to do with the power pack and is part of the flash itself. I believe the D40 has a cable built into it that goes directly to the TTL port. The 120J's Hasselblad module has such a cable. The CS4 cable is merely a power cable having no extensions into the TTL port. I know you can use the Sunpak external pack with the D40, so the Turbo and CS4 cable, as well as the Jackrabbit with CS4 cable should work also (they have the same kind of cable receptacle on the battery pack end). Paramount also makes a CS4 type cable.

Antonio, what Nadine says makes sense. I think we have to accept the D40 has a "limited" guide number. I think (logic says to me - I do not know for a fact) that The Quantum Turbo packs only help "special" flash units get more flash cycles (as it would help the D40) as well as more "power" (read increased guide number). So, such "special" flash units are ones like Quantum's own range of units - they must have a nominally very high guide number but that is only accessed/achieved/produced with specific battery power. So, use a non-turbo low end Quantum battery and get a guide number of xyz or use the high end Turbo and get an effective output of xyz++....

Well, that means we are stuck with an effective f stop range of up to f5.6 or at most f8 in middle distance shooting with the reflector set to "N" position! Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! But I do really really like the D40 light so no regrets here.