Quantum Qflash T5d questions

Hello all,

I've read a number of posts about the Quantum T5d and still have some questions:

A number of people have commented that the TTL is not very reliable. If I

purchased one, I would most likely use it in manual mode (mounted on my tripod)

with a handheld meter. It would be used in situations where I couldn't bring

a studio flash, but still want an off-camera that is portable and powerful.

The other purpose would be as a hairlight or background light. My primary

light is a 600Ws light, so a 150Ws Quantum could do well as a background or

hairlight.

How large a softbox could I use (estimated, of course, with a Chimera speedring

attached) in a portrait situation and still shoot at F4 - F8? Quantum makes a

12"x12". Could I conceivably mount a 12"x24"? Would I need some kind of

support for the softbox so that it isn't too heavy on the flash?

Hi Paul -

I've used a T2D for years for both portable studio lighting and on a bracket with the TTL module. For studio lighting, I can mount a 3x4' Photoflex softbox using the appropriate speedring. The speedring gets screwed into the stud on your light stand and takes the weight of the softbox, while the flash attaches to the other side of the speedring and hangs supporting its own weight only. (If you screw the flash to the lightstand, the quantum will support the weight of the softbox, but it's pushing it...) This last year, I have been using a large Photek Softlighter on a multi-clamp that mounts like an umbrella. Very nice lighting.

On a bracket in TTL mode, the quantum is great at weddings and events. Plenty of power and recycling times to bounce off of walls and ceilings. Even the direct light looks good with the wide-angle diffuser. The downside is weight, size, and no high-speed-sync.

The trick to TTL mode is getting the right firmware in the QTTL module that works with your camera. In my case, it took a few upgrades to get it to work properly but that was a few years ago on the older style module. Also, on my module, the focus-assist light does not work very well and doesn't illuminate all the sensors on a 1D series canon. I leave it off.

Hope this helps.

paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I didn't realize that the Qflash could hang supported by its own weight in the speedring. I just looked at a small pic of the Chimera Quantum speedring and I can see the 1/4" tripod mount. That's the way to go for me since I would prefer to have a larger softbox than 12" x 12".

I gave some thought to the X5DR, but it's a big jump in price. I'll probably stick with the T5D. My goal here is to have something that is portable, can be set up quickly and give me more power and more softness than a typical on-camera flash.