Quantum Lighting for Outdoor Portraits

Hi...

This is my first post on here... I am confused. I was going to purchase the

following kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=314906&is=REG

It is a quantum T5 Flash, with battery, stand, umbrella, etc.

Do I need to buy a transmitter/receiver to use this flash with my camera? I

feel like the answer is an obvious yes, but I don't want to make any mistakes

here...

Is this flash compatable with my Nikon D70s TTL? I read the list, and it seems

it should be... but my camera is not mentioned.

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it.

I have a T4d, and it is a real workhorse for event and social page photography. I use it on a stand, bare bulb or dome reflector, auto or manual mode. I have TTL modules for Nikon and Hasselblad, but rarely use them. In fact, the TTL accuracy is poor compared to the auto (photocell) function of the flash itself.

I use a pair of Pocket Wizards to connect with the flash. If you don't mind wires, you can get extensions for the TTL cable, or simply use an household zip cord extension.

If you don't mind using a flash meter (or trial and error), then consider a Lumidyne or Norman portable unit - more power, lighter heads. However, the TTL functions are crude and there is no auto sensor.

Quantum TTL is a joke. Lumedyne has an <i>excellent</i> auto functioning unit (HAHM Auto Module), but truthfully, you're better off using any strobe in Manual if you are going to be using it in an umbrella on a stand. I have been struggling to get an X2 to behave sensibly but am finally giving up. I can't get it to work consistently at any lower outputs in Auto Mode with the remote sensor. I was attempting to shoot at iso 400 at F4 or 5.6 and finally had to add four more layers of diffusion just to get the exposures down to my working aperture. <p>I'm waiting for my Lumedyne to come back with some personal modofocations, and then the X2 is going up for sale or over to KEH in trade (for the new Nikon?).<p>If the T5 is powerful enough for you, I strongly suggest you try the SB-800 instead. Make some inquiries in the Nikon Forum about CLS with the D70s and the SB-800 (or at <a href="http://www.strobist.blogspot.com">Strobist</a> ). I use the D200 and the exposures I get with the SB-800 are incredibly consistent, once it is set up the way I like it. For more power in a super portable and very tough system, Lumedyne is unbeatable... t <p>(I think the SB-800 is a couple of hundred bucks less than the T5, and it works great in an umbrella for one or two people... t