Quantum 2x2 and the SB900

<p>I just recently purchased the Nikon SB-900 and a Quantum 2x2 Power pack. I am very glad I did and it works great. But when I was shooting the other night I started having at first what I thought was a battery issue.</p>

<p>I was shooting a night HS football game and I was shooting the flash on i-TTL. After a little bit the flash stopped firing and I realized that the flash was stopping its self from fireing because the bulb was getting to hot. This in its self is no big deal because I just have to watch myself when shooting. I was firing maybe 2 or 3 shots per play on average. Some plays I would not fire any and then some plays I would fire maybe 4 or 5 over the course of a 4-5sec run. I don't think that could be considered a high amount of flashes. Or is it?</p>

<p>Anyway I was left wondering.</p>

<p>Is there a better flash unit that I should use with the Quantum power pack? Or should I just work on being selective with my shots and limit the number of shots I take in a row?</p>

<p>The SB-900 has a built-in thermal safety switch. Older Nikon flash units, like the SB-800 simply went <em>poof</em> when overused. Nikon duty cycle recommendations are found in the manual, and basically recommend no more than 10 full-power flashes in 10 minutes.</p>

<p>The Q-flash is not only twice as powerful (only one stop), but will shoot without duty restrictions as fast as it recycles. Unfortunately, no flash, however powerful, will give you good results at a football game if it is mounted on the camera. You light up the foreground, flatten the subjects, leave ugly shadows on the background and make eyes glow like a deer in the headlights.</p>

<p>Pros use powerful flash units mounted high in the stadium, operated by radio, for ideal light distribution. You can also get excellent results with available light, considering ISO 1000 is no challenge for a DSLR less than 6 years old. Try it, you'll like it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input from all.</p>

<p>I used to shoot noting but available light at night HS football games. Would not even consider using a flash. But I have found that by mounting the flash on my mono pod about 2ft under the camera and shooting the flash on manual and then dialing the flash down to about 1/2 or 1/4 power gives me just enough pop to put a little bit of light under the helmets of the players to see there eyes.</p>

<p>I knew the SB-900 flash had a sensor to keep it from over heating so that hasn't really been my question. I was really looking to see if there was a flash that could be fired more frequntly during a shorter period of time with out buring its self up so to speak. It sounds like the Quantum would fit that purpose.</p>

<p>So once again thanks for the input.</p>