Quantaray lenses compatible?

wolffmom

Quantaray lenses are relabeled lenses from other manufactuerers (mainly Sigma iirc). In your case, the lens is not compatible with digital EOS cameras, and eventually it's not compatible with the latest film EOS that came out as well.

The problem is usually an errormessage as soon as you want to stop down ... when you use the DOF button, or when you press the shutter button.

Sigma did rechip some of their lenses (the newer lenses have loadable firmware). Depending on the lens, Sigma might (or might not) be able to rechip the lens.

Rainer

come now....I am not a professional here but I have taken some wonderful zoom pics with this lense(ex: highschool track & football).

sigh...so what is a good zoom lens for the XTI and at what cost? I have alot invested in the reg canon rebel already to spend to much upgrading the digital.

Thank you for your time.

Patti,

I own a Quantaray 70-300 (Tamron Rebrand?) that I picked up for my XT when I bought it, because I didn't own any lenses for Canon at the time. While it is a passable lens for amateur use, it is next on my list of upgrades, probably sometime next year. It works on the XT, but I haven't tested it on an XTi yet. But, it was somewhat quirky even on the XT, with occasional errors.

The price you pay, besides lower image quality, when buying cheaper "fourth-party" lenses like this is that when Canon upgrades their cameras, they tend not to work properly, because the manufacturers have not properly licensed the interface from Canon, but rather have reverse engineered it. With third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron, when there is a compatibility problem, they will often re-chip the lens, within a reasonable period. These "fourth party" lenses generally don't have this option. You get what you pay for.

Chances are that your Q-ray lenses will not work on the XTi. You might be able to purchase another Q-ray lens that is newer, and does work with the XTi, but then you might be in the same position in a few years. Canon's consumer 70-300 lenses aren't that much more expensive than the Q-ray offerings, and compatibility is basically certain.

This is one reason why I won't buy any more "fourth party" lenses, and why I am transitioning my lens system to an all Canon one with all possible speed.

Patti,

You didn't specify which Q-ray lens, but I assume it was the 70-300 or something similar.

If you aren't hung up on image quality, and can accept consumer grade results, Canon's 75-300 is around $190, and Sigma's 70-300 is around $120. They aren't great lenses, but they will take acceptable pictures for less picky amateurs.

Patti, the bad news (if it really is bad) is that you really should put more money into lenses than into camera bodies. The Rebel XTi is a great little camera but to get the most out of it will require some good lenses.

In the telephoto zoom category, Canon's 75-300's (all three types of them) have about the same image quality as the Quantaray that you have now, but are all built to be more reliable. If you are happy with that, then get a Canon brand 75-300. They are about $150 from large reliable dealers like B&H Photo. However, if you want to get a *good* telephoto zoom look at Canon's 70-300 (not 75-300). It's about $550, and includes image stabilization. A very nice feature in a long lens. What the Canon lenses don't have is the 1:2 macro mode at 300mm, but what they do have is the assurance that they will work with future Canon camera bodies.

Patti,

Jim is absolutely correct, btw. Now that the consumer dSLRs are well below $1000, and they are ALL of acceptable resolution for casual non-professionals, you should spend as little money on your camera body as possible.

Personally, I'd advise any casual to "mediumly" serious amateur photographer to purchase the CHEAPEST body their favored manufacturer sells, which right now, is the Rebel XT for Canon. Save your money for lenses. I'd rather have a slightly outdated camera than a cheap lens anyday. I learned that the hard way.

"Not very expensive" is probably too general a term to give specific answers, but...

Canon 75-300 is as good as what you have, but will reliably work with future cameras, and costs about $150 from B&H, etc.

Sigma's 70-300 APO version is priced about $250 and has a little better optical qualities than the cheap Canon, Tamron or Sigma (Quantaray) lenses.

Canon 70-300 USM IS costs about $550, but is a considerably better lens optically, and adds image stabilization.

Canon 70-200 f/4L is $500-600 with great optics, faster focus and superior build quality, but isn't as long.

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L is about $1100 and is like the f/4 version but larger, and has a faster aperture.

These last two can be had with optical image stabilization for about $500 additional.

Somewhere in there you ought to be able to find what you want.

• 9 years later...